Image Map Image Map

Thread: Bios update

Default Bios update

Hello everybody,

I need some help. I bought an old notebook from ebay with a 486DX2 processor. Hard drive does not work. So I thought about replacing it with a 120Gbyte Samsung Spinpoint limit to 30 Gbyte by jumper. Unfortunately the bios does not support LBA (only CHS). I did some recherché to identify the chipset. As far as I understood the chipset is a ETEQ ET6000 with the codename Cheetah. Bios is made by Award. Is it possible to update the bios to support LBA?

Some information (Chips on the board)

ETEQ ET6000 A TC6931AF JAPAN 9339EAI (Chipsatz Codename Cheetah)
    CIRRUS LOGIC CL-GD6235-65QC-AB 23383-308AB 9345 J KOREA-B
    SMC FDC37C651 QF P D9341 6C72337-6 (Floppy Disk Controller)
    DIA JAPAN SS INC UA0300-QA 9335 B001

IMG_20200216_181743.jpg
    IMG_20200216_195446.jpg

Thank you in advance for any information

Have you tried just entering some some CHS values? It may work just fine...

30GB may be too large though. You can probably get 8GB flash disks at reasonable prices, or you can use a CF adapter.

No I did not. Hard drive is a Samsung Spin (SP1213N). LBA 234,493,056 (120 Gbyte). Can you help with the correct CHS values.

Hi @mcs_5 could you provide me with the correct CHS values?

Thank you in advance

A machine that old may not even support 8 GB hard drives. I second the recommendation of a CF adapter with a small CF card and fudging the CHS values if it can't be auto detected. I've had to do this on some older machines and it usually works fine.

You could try a DDO, i.e., Disk Manager or something similar. Otherwise, try a smaller drive, much smaller.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Honestly Ontrack would be a good solution. https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ont...k-manager.html

I have a couple 486 machines with newer 80gb IDE drives in them using ontrack. The newer drives are cheap, plentiful, and newer so they might last a little longer than a vintage drive.

I've never really noticed the small amount of conventional memory Ontrack takes up as an issue, but it is something to be aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkchild View Post
    Hi @mcs_5 could you provide me with the correct CHS values?

Thank you in advance
    Just try the maximum values you're allowed to enter. You will probably get 528MB or 8.4GB. And then you need overlay software, as others have suggested...

Or get a small DOM or Compact Flash in the size range the BIOS supports

Gotta be careful when fudging around with CHS values. I've had some boards with bugged BIOS implementations that actually crash if any of the values are set too high.