Image Map Image Map

Thread: Inspiron 7500 Help

Default Inspiron 7500 Help

I'm wondering if my peers here might be able to assist me in finding some driver(s) for an Inspiron 7500 for Windows 95; particularly USB and CardBus drivers. Dell doesn't have them for Windows 95 even though the 7000 (which the 7500 is based) shipped with Windows 95.
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

If you can get the hardware ID of the devices from msinfo32 or the device manager, you can try putting them in Google.

It'll look something like:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A145&SUBSYS_79771462&REV_31

The first part "PCI" describes which bus it's on.

The second "VEN_8086" describes what OEM it came from (in this case 8086 is Intel).

The rest is the device and information about the device, like what features it has and what revision the hardware is.

I've had good luck finding drivers for old and/or weird pieces of hardware just by slapping it in Google or another search engine.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    If you can get the hardware ID of the devices from msinfo32 or the device manager, you can try putting them in Google.

It'll look something like:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_A145&SUBSYS_79771462&REV_31

The first part "PCI" describes which bus it's on.

The second "VEN_8086" describes what OEM it came from (in this case 8086 is Intel).

The rest is the device and information about the device, like what features it has and what revision the hardware is.

I've had good luck finding drivers for old and/or weird pieces of hardware just by slapping it in Google or another search engine.
    Is there a way to get that information from Windows 95; because msinfo32.exe doesn't give it and neither does the Device Manager. I suppose if I had to, I could install on a small partition Windows 2000 or XP to get that functionality.

Did you install the usb supplement from the windows 95 CD?

Quote Originally Posted by jafir View Post
    Did you install the usb supplement from the windows 95 CD?
    I did. I discovered that I needed to install the chipset utility software twice in order to make it work.
    Daniel P. Cayea - The Lyon Mountain Company - Plattsburgh, New York 12901
    Vintage Equipment: IBM 5150 * IBM 5161 * ThinkPad 770ED
    Modern Equipment: MacBook Pro 13 * Alienware M15R3

Quote Originally Posted by lyonadmiral View Post
    Is there a way to get that information from Windows 95; because msinfo32.exe doesn't give it and neither does the Device Manager. I suppose if I had to, I could install on a small partition Windows 2000 or XP to get that functionality.
    Apparently it's been too long since I last used Windows 9x, I spun up a VM and there is in fact no way to see the PCI IDs of devices.

There are third party programs like these:

http://rh-software.com/
    http://halfdone.com/ukd/

That are supposed to be able to do that, and work on Windows 9x.