Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: another Gateway 2000 thread / help!

Oof! I may have taken on more than I can chew here... well thank you for the kind responses!

So, I removed the motherboard and desolder'd the NiCD battery out.

Is this what would go in it's place? (If not, what do you advise?) - https://www.ebay.com/itm/3-V60R-Type...y/322941102168

Here are some pics of the motherboard and close-up of where the battery was removed.

IMG_1626 (3).jpg

IMG_1627 (3).jpg

IMG_1625 (3).jpg

IMG_1628 (3).jpg

Again, thank you so much for the help. Any guidance is appreciated!

Is the board still dead? If so a battery isn't going to help.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I see lots of corroded components, which most likely are going to need to be replaced. It's not worth it, you'll spend more on components than the board is worth, without a guarantee it will fix the board.

The only thing I'd recommend is try washing the board with some dish soap and scrub it with a tooth brush or dustpan brush to get any surface battery seepage off, then dry it with an air compressor, being sure to blow out any water in slots, under chips and in pin sockets.

Vinegar can neutralize the corrosion process, but it won't stop the damage that already happened. It can actually make the corrosion a whole lot worse if you don't wash the vinegar off completely, you'll have an acid eating everything instead of a base.

all hope isn't lost the traces can be fixed... even my dumb self can do it.

Blog Entries

9 traces under what was the battery look cut through in two places. That means placing a lot of tightly packed patch wires with no certainty that the board will work. How much fun do you think spending half an hour with a soldering iron is?

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    9 traces under what was the battery look cut through in two places. That means placing a lot of tightly packed patch wires with no certainty that the board will work. How much fun do you think spending half an hour with a soldering iron is?
    lots of fun! repairing damaged equipment is one of my fav parts of the hobby!

( also you'd wanna run a multi meter check on the traces, probably not all of them are damaged. so you only have to jumper the damaged ones. it's not a huge deal.

Like owning an 80s car (which i do) there is always stuff that needs to be fixed and repaired.

it's very rewarding to repair this hardware and get it working and save it from the landfill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRVZC8z2fJE&t=12s

I love this guys videos, I've learned alot about component level repair & diagnosis.

If you want to repair the board (you don't have to follow these steps exactly but this is what I'd do):
    Use vinegar to neutralize the corrosion already on the board. Then wash it off with water and dry thoroughly. Desolder and replace the components that have already been damaged beyond repair by the corrosion.
    Finally use some jumper wires to patch up the damaged traces, and cross your fingers. If the board is still dead after all that, then the corrosion has probably damaged the inner layers of the board and there's likely nothing that can be done.

If the board isn't particularly valuable/unique/rare, you could probably just toss it. Of course, if you're one of those people that doesn't like to throw this kind of stuff away then you can try and repair it. That's entirely up to you.