Image Map Image Map

Thread: PCI SAS controller?

Default PCI SAS controller?

Hi
    Do You have (and what price) PCI 5V SAS controller? Or PCI-X that can work? Or maybe You known what can be name of that card and where to find it?

I don't think you will find a plain 32-bit 33MHz PCI SAS host adapter. But I haven't tried any PCI-X cards that did not work in a standard PCI slot.

I was curious and took a look to see what I could find for PCI SAS host adapters. I didn't find any that were plain PCI instead of PCI-X.

For example the Adaptec 44300, 48300, and 58300, and LSI Logic SAS3041X-R and SAS3080X-R are PCI-X SAS host adapters. However these are all 3.3V only, so they wouldn't work in 5V PCI slots. I didn't find any that supported both 3.3V / 5V. Of course just because I didn't find any doesn't mean that there aren't any.

Blog Entries

3ware and Promise made PCIX 5v SATA cards but I don't know of any SAS that are not PCIE.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by mcs_5 View Post
    I don't think you will find a plain 32-bit 33MHz PCI SAS host adapter. But I haven't tried any PCI-X cards that did not work in a standard PCI slot.
    There are quite a few PCI-X disk controllers that won't work in a normal PCI slot.

I have one eight port SAS controller that will cause the machine to crash if inserted in a normal PCI slot when option ROMs are being detected.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    There are quite a few PCI-X disk controllers that won't work in a normal PCI slot.

I have one eight port SAS controller that will cause the machine to crash if inserted in a normal PCI slot when option ROMs are being detected.
    Guess I've just been lucky then (I have used SCSI and Ethernet cards only). I have experienced universal 3/5V PCI cards, that should work in PCI-X slots, but didn't...

PCI was a bouillabaisse of standards which were all mostly, but not always backwards/forwards compatible.

The slot keying was one thing with 3.3v vs 5v PCI slots (former had a reversed connector), 66 MHz PCI (also a reversed connector), 64 bit PCI vs PCI-X (both used the same slot types but weren't 100% compatible) and PCI-X 2.0 (which had backwards compatibility issues with older cards.

It's a shame that 66 MHz PCI didn't catch on, mostly because of the reversed PCI connector and the inability to use older cards that didn't have double keys. Manufacturers didn't want to risk locking themselves out of the market so everyone used bog standard PCI until the very end. It more or less played out the same way with ISA, but in that case there was no defined standard. It's amazing that hundreds/thousands of vendors kept a not really defined defacto standard around and it worked as well as it did.

Can I ask what is the name/brand of the SAS controller, and model? Maybe the company have something that can work or firmware upgrade?

Thank You All for answers.

It was an old HP or Adaptec card, I don't remember which. It's currently buried in my horde and I don't have the time to dig it out currently.

I can guarantee you that a BIOS update to make the card work in an unsupported configuration is something that either company would definitely never release though.

I'm not sure why you'd want such a configuration though, do you have a pile of SAS drives you want to use on old hardware or something? You'd be better off getting a SAS to SATA adapter and running it off a SATA controller card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232591640308

It would be really great if less than 5$ adapter can connect SAS device to SATA. But - " 3. It can't connect the SAS hard disk to normal SATA motherboard. (it will be worked if your motherboard has the SAS chipsit, Otherwise can't work.) "
    And I need it for LTO drive not only hard disk...