Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compaq Presario monitor and speaker help (4784 and 1525)

Default Compaq Presario monitor and speaker help (4784 and 1525)

So, I have a Compaq Presario 4784 Windows 95 computer with the original monitor (Presario 1525 with the JBL speakers) in good condition. It runs great and I have no problems with it. However, I don't have any blank CD-RWs to put new data on it, so I barely use it because it barely has anything on it, and I don't have any software to use with it other than a Vegas game. But I've noticed that the JBL speakers that mount on to the monitor sound REALLY good. I mean, these are damn good speakers. I would like to use them with my main PC, but I can't control the volume on them, and they're always super quiet (when plugged into my main PC, they work fine on the Compaq.) It seems the monitor has some voodoo magic connection with these speakers that only allows them to be controlled by that monitor. I'm wondering if there's any way to be able to control them with my main PC when they're plugged in.

Also, if needed, here are my main PC specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera Six-Core CPU @ 3.5 GHz
    GPU: AMD Radeon R7 200 Series 2GB VRAM
    Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-78LMT-S2
    RAM: 8GB DDR3

If I remember correctly, most Compaq monitors came with the speakers included. The JBL speakers were made specifically to go along with the monitor.
    As for your main PC, does changing the sound volume using the Windows Mixer in W10 have no effect?

Quote Originally Posted by TH2002 View Post
    If I remember correctly, most Compaq monitors came with the speakers included. The JBL speakers were made specifically to go along with the monitor.
    As for your main PC, does changing the sound volume using the Windows Mixer in W10 have no effect?
    No, my PC automatically sets the volume to 100% when I plug them in, and it auto-detects them in the speaker port.

You could also just get some CD-RWs (as they can be had for almost nothing nowadays), and get some more software onto the Compaq.
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

I believe the audio output on a Compaq of that era had the amplifier in the computer as opposed to being in the speakers. I have a Presario 4660 I'm playing with now that has the amplifier built in it.

Quote Originally Posted by fatwizard View Post
    I believe the audio output on a Compaq of that era had the amplifier in the computer as opposed to being in the speakers. I have a Presario 4660 I'm playing with now that has the amplifier built in it.
    They did, I had a 4108 which came with bookshelf speakers. Sounded great but the speakers were passive, the output itself was amplified. I suspect you could damage active speakers if you connect them to these Compaqs if they are expecting a line level input.

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    You could also just get some CD-RWs (as they can be had for almost nothing nowadays), and get some more software onto the Compaq.
    Ya', really...

Or, use a network connection or even a USB stick.
    PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by compaqportableplus View Post
    CD-RWs and optical media in general is more expensive now than it was 10-15 years ago, unless you find a derelict old pile in a second hand store. Less of it is being made, people hardly use them anymore so manufacturers aren't producing them in quantity like they did in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Ya', really...

Or, use a network connection or even a USB stick.
    Flash drives didn't exist commercially until five years after the OS was released. Microsoft provided an afterthought patch to have VERY limited support for USB storage devices. It was buggy and doesn't work with all flash drives, especially large ones. I keep a small pile of ancient USB flash drives from 64-256 MB, which work a whole lot more reliably with Windows 9x than modern flash drives do.

CD-R/RWs are a better option if the CD-ROM drive on the machine supports them, or networking if it can be made to work, which is a pain between vastly different versions of Windows. CD-ROM drives before CD-R/RW media became common tend to have problems reading them.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    CD-RWs and optical media in general is more expensive now than it was 10-15 years ago, unless you find a derelict old pile in a second hand store. Less of it is being made, people hardly use them anymore so manufacturers aren't producing them in quantity like they did in the past.
    They are still by no means hard to find or expensive. A quick eBay search reveals that 10-packs can be had for as little as $11, and I do still see them in thrift stores too.
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

PM me if you're looking for 3½" or 5¼" floppy disks. EMail “ ” For everything else, Take Another Step