Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gateway 2000 monitor powers on with no display?

Default Gateway 2000 monitor powers on with no display?

Greetings -

I picked up a Gateway 2000 CS1776LE monitor (mfg 1993) with a Gateway 2000 PC.

When I power it on, I hear the old CRT degausing and static-y noises (or whatever that is) and the LED is green... but there's no display whatsoever. Adjusting the dials / pushing the buttons does not do anything.

Short video here:

So is this thing dead?

Also - is this the same as a VGA cable?

IMG_1619.jpg

...and would a older but modern 4x3 VGA monitor work if I plugged it in?

Thank you, in advance, for your time and help!

Have you tried the monitor on any other computer including your modern one. Id believe the gateway pc is dead before the crt.

It looks like some of the ID pins are missing on the VGA connector, so the monitor may not work on more modern video cards which use those pins to determine the monitor type. You'll need an old dumb video card which just puts out a signal all the time.

Most cards from the PCI and earlier AGP era should work. Newer cards usually won't.

But shouldn't there be some sort of display even when powering on while not connected to anything? A power on image? A "no input" message? Any sort of response to buttons? ...or was this not a thing in 1993?

Thanks again for the help!

Most older CRTs before the mid 90s don't have an OSD and won't show anything unless a valid signal is present.

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    Most older CRTs before the mid 90s don't have an OSD and won't show anything unless a valid signal is present.
    +1 any CRT older than like 1998 or so that i have doesn't have any OSD, and just sits there black screen with nothing plugged in.

I had an old KDS VS7i monitor that exhibited a similar issue. However, that monitor had an OSD if I remember correctly, but it showed nothing. For me the issue was a break in the cable in one or two of the wires that was important? I had a local person at the time who could repair electronics, and he fixed it by replacing the VGA cable through soldering a new one on the board. I can't say that the same thing is the issue for you. I agree with the member who said try it on another machine that has a VGA output and see if it works.

Just posting to confirm... indeed, the monitor does work with another computer. So, this old monitor has no OSD without a signal. Thanks for the help!

Are you going to start another thread for your gateway PC? I think I have two of these monitors. One came with a gateway 2000 4/33 (486 33mhz) that doesnt post and I have been meaning to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Are you going to start another thread for your gateway PC? I think I have two of these monitors. One came with a gateway 2000 4/33 (486 33mhz) that doesnt post and I have been meaning to fix it.
    I did.

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...0-thread-help!

The battery corroded the motherboard and I don't have the skill to fix the thing.