Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So ... any Quadra fans?

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Default So ... any Quadra fans?

68040 based Macs, some are Centris'. What are your feelings? I have a line on a couple Quadras. Wondering if it's worth the leap.

Some fugazzi is likely to come along and say "what's wrong with a Power PC?". Well, for starters they're not the subject of this query. Furthermore Power Macs aren't real Macs. In my most humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    Wondering if it's worth the leap.
    That'a a question that only you can answer.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

I like the aesthetics of the Mac II line better (the IIsi in particular), but I wouldn't say no to a 950 or an 840AV.

The 040 is a good bit quicker than the 030, but the 030 is plenty sufficient for what I use a 68k mac for.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try Muh Crappy YouTube Channel
    Looking to Buy/Trade For: Mac IIci hard drive bracket and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules-compatible card + monochrome monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs
    May Be Interested In Acquiring: 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Which is?

I've had Mac IIs forever, I'm just kind of bored with them. And they are the only vintage Macs I'm at all interested in (II,IIx,IIfx). Besides the Quadra/Centris line.

Blog Entries

I have a basement full of old macs. Favorites are the Q800/950/840av and the Mac II/IIx/IIfx but I have others.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

If you can get a Quadra, it's worth it. I've found them to be excellent 7.6 machines with minimal upgrades and will run just about any 68K software you throw at them, plus onboard networking!
    I've also found them to be slightly more reliable than the majority of 030 macs. The Quadra 700 has been especially trouble-free.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

This reminds me, I really need to get my 840AV set up with some stuff to run on it...
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    This reminds me, I really need to get my 840AV set up with some stuff to run on it...
    This however, brings up a good point.

ALL of the AV models, plus the 800 of the Quadra series require recapping, so keep that in mind. The 700, 900 and 950 are tantalum and metal film based and outside of perhaps a power supply recap at one point don't require their logic boards reworked.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

I have a Quadra 650; bought it from a supplier who was upgrading; had it for at least 10 years with no issues. I also have Mac SEs, which are cute and compact, but by comparison the Quadra is a far more capable machine and much more readily expanded / configured. Unless you want to do hi-res graphics or complex math with the machine it should be able to handle most other tasks. Mine is running OS8 but there is an argument for staying with OS 7.x.

Worth the investment? How much time and money you spend vs what you get out of it is something only you can assess, as Stone points out. I bought mine for cheap from someone I knew who had taken care of it and for the purpose of learning about Macs. For me the answer was / is "yes".

-CH-

Blog Entries

Pretty sure the Q800 uses tantelums so no recap there.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems