Image Map Image Map

Thread: Old Tseng Labs Ultra Pak video 1 long beep 2 short beeps

Default Old Tseng Labs Ultra Pak video 1 long beep 2 short beeps

Hi,

I've got this old Tseng Labs Ultra Pak card.

https://imgur.com/gallery/vP5YYYN

Haven't found much info on it, but I suspect an IBM MDA alternative featuring LPT, COM1, COM2, a real time clock.

Problem nothing is shown on the display when the computer starts. Just 1 beep (long) and 2 beeps (short). Same computer works fine with an IBM MDA card.

The original owner removed the battery from the videocard, but there was definitely some corrosion as you can see from the pictures. Here's what I did so far :

• I cleaned the impacted area with vinegar / IPA.
    • I checked the 3 tantalum caps (10mF, 16V). These turned out fine.
    • I removed some of the corroded chips to check the traces underneath the chips. Nothing suspicious to be found.
    • Tried to read the EEPROM chip but don't know the brand / type so my universal reader cannot read the chip

Are there other things I can check / verify ? I suspect that all of those logic chips / small 10pF caps aren't that error prone.
    Last edited by RetroSpector78; March 2nd, 2020 at 08:31 AM.
    Retro enthousiast. Love everything < 486. Learning and sharing on my little channel

The issue is with the video card and not the motherboard.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    The issue is with the video card and not the motherboard.
    I know , the things I did + questions I asked are all related to the videocard. Sorry if this was not clear.
    Retro enthousiast. Love everything < 486. Learning and sharing on my little channel

How is it that the video card has corrosion from the battery and the motherboard doesn't?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

How is it that the video card has corrosion from the battery and the motherboard doesn't?
    Video card and original motherboard got separated. The videocard contained the battery. Currently testing with a clean IBM machine. PC is working fine so full focus is on the videocard.

Why does that card have a battery?

Blog Entries

Clock chip MSM5832 at A-17.

Why does that card have a battery?
    I'm guessing it's one of those cards thats combines serial / parallel / video / realtime clock.

But to get back to the original question :

Are there some common components on these old videocards that are more error prone and more likely to fail than others ?
    What would be the best place to start ?

Some of the larger chips on the card :

* 8255A : ppi chip
    * 6845 : display controller
    * 2764 : eeprom chip (Was able to read the content using my programmer and was not blank, but not sure what to make of it)
    * 8250 : used for the serial ports ? 2 8250 sockets on the videocard, only 1 populated

Also, fact that the battery is removed should not prevent the card from working I guess ?

Quote Originally Posted by RetroSpector78 View Post
    But to get back to the original question :

Are there some common components on these old videocards that are more error prone and more likely to fail than others ?
    What would be the best place to start ?

Some of the larger chips on the card :

* 8255A : ppi chip
    * 6845 : display controller
    * 2764 : eeprom chip (Was able to read the content using my programmer and was not blank, but not sure what to make of it)
    * 8250 : used for the serial ports ? 2 8250 sockets on the videocard, only 1 populated

Also, fact that the battery is removed should not prevent the card from working I guess ?
    I figured the memory chips might also be considered more error prone than others, so I removed those from the Tseng Labs Ultra Pak card and put them in another MDA card (that had sockets for the 8x8kb RAM chips) and the RAM chips turned out ok. So we can remove that from the list also.