Image Map Image Map

Thread: Hex editor for Linux

Default Hex editor for Linux

Has anyone got a favourite Hex Editor for Linux, I'm looking for one that's comparable to HxD for windows, I've been using Ubuntu Mate for some months now on my daily driver, Great for internet / Email / Downloading stuff but trying to do anything else that i can easily do in Windows is a bloody nightmare. I'm going to be changing to Linux Mint Xfce as i've been playing with that on my P4 for a while and prefer it over Ubuntu Mate.

Thanks
    Malc

Blog Entries

Depends on your druthers. Pretty good rundown here

I have hexedit installed on my systems, but again, this is largely a matter of personal preference.

Blog Entries

I've found https://hexed.it/ is quite useful given you can access it from anywhere.

Thanks guys, I've googled and googled and downloaded, Tried HexEdit and it's not for me, Actually tried several and none suited, Okteta looked promising but required about 125 extra packages to be downloaded on Mint so i didn't bother, I'll stick to using Windows for Hex work for now.

jeex isn't total garbage.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

I know you already mentioned Okteta, and I realize it needs a lot of dependencies to install. I'm not sure what the equivalent for Mate is; but I do use and like Okteta myself on CentOS 7, GNOME 3.
    --
    Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Used to use gHex for the times I needed to hex edit on Linux. It was OK.

I bit the bullet and installed Okteta on Mint, Download wasn't as bad as i thought, First impressions i like it, Better than the others i tried, Should suit me fine, gHex was one that i tried before and didn't like it.

On Windows I use the Free Edition of Hex Editor Neo by HHD Software Ltd.
    www.hhdsoftware.com/hex-editor

There have been a few times I wished it had some of the features only available in the paid versions, but not enough that I have gone ahead and bought a paid version.

Unfortunately for the discussion at hand it appears that they don't have a Linux version.