Image Map Image Map

Thread: Testing 4164 ICs

Default Testing 4164 ICs

I have a a few hundred mixed functional and non-function 4164 ICs that were pulls. Since they are all early 80s chips, I'd like to test them to see which are good and which are not. Does anyone know of a good way to test these besides plugging them into various computers to test? I don't really want to wear out the sockets.

My IC programmer has a memory testing function. I guess many others do also...

I substitute lots of chips quite regularly and to date have never had a socket 'wear out'. Besides, whatever device you may use to test those chips will undoubtedly use sockets.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Besides, whatever device you may use to test those chips will undoubtedly use sockets.
    Yes, but the ZIF sockets in testers are designed for this. Regular IC sockets can wear out...

Quote Originally Posted by mcs_5 View Post
    Regular IC sockets can wear out...
    ... but none of mine ever have even after repetitive use (and abuse) .
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    ... but none of mine ever have even after repetitive use (and abuse) .
    It takes a lot

I've replaced the (standard) socket on a home-made programmer. The contacts weren't "springy" any more.

Thanks for the suggestions on a new programmer, the one I've been using is an RS232 unit from the 80s, I've decided it's time to get a more modern unit with this feature.