Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rifa X2 capacitor : replace or not ?

Default Rifa X2 capacitor : replace or not ?

Hi,

I have an old IBM 5162 that had a rifa cap partially exploding and letting out the smelly smoke.

Now the PC is running fine (as expected) when removing it, and I know a lot of people just leave it at that, but what exactly are the side-effects of running without the filter cap ?
    Will it be more sensitive to noise, and if so how will that effect the behaviour of this PC. Will it become unstable / shut down / can it hurt other components ?

And if I should decide to replace it, would this be a good replacement : https://benl.rs-online.com/web/p/pol...itors/8741425/

Thx.
    Retro enthousiast. Love everything < 486. Learning and sharing on my little channel

The capacitor is primarily there to keep the supply from spreading noise. So I think you should replace it.

And the replacement you found is fine - assuming it's the correct size/value

I replace them. They go often so I keep a few varieties on hand. Its an easy fix.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I replace them. They go often so I keep a few varieties on hand. Its an easy fix.
    Same here. I replace them even if they're not visibly cracked nowadays, I've had a few that looked fine let go and stink up the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs_5 View Post
    The capacitor is primarily there to keep the supply from spreading noise. So I think you should replace it.

And the replacement you found is fine - assuming it's the correct size/value
    Received the replacement part and will add it today.
    Under what circumstances would the computer behave badly without it ...
    Would that be a malfunction somewhere
    In the mains input (outside of the pc, or some external device causing interference)

Is there a way to simulate that kind of interference easily ?
    Retro enthousiast. Love everything < 486. Learning and sharing on my little channel

It's actually more to stop electrical noise from the computer from being transmitted back down the AC line, into the rest of the building wiring.

Blog Entries

Part 15 FCC regulations. At the time, VDE had even stricter regulations.

Am i the only person that thinks a burning paper RIFA (yes the brand specifically) smells like a burning blueberry waffle? (like an eggo?)

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    It's actually more to stop electrical noise from the computer from being transmitted back down the AC line, into the rest of the building wiring.
    Obviously line noise will affect some (rarely used) power type technologies like X10 or Powerline networking, but what else would be affected by electrical noise? Anything that would actually have noticeable affect?

Like others here, i always replace the RIFA's (vs leaving them out), but that's more because of OCD then any real world reason (although i do use powerline networking in a few locations). Same reason I usually put RF shields back, even though these days those tend to do more harm then benefit (by risking irreplaceable chips to excessive heat).
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Am i the only person that thinks a burning paper RIFA (yes the brand specifically) smells like a burning blueberry waffle? (like an eggo?)
    Well in that case the smoke that came out of my Compaq Deskpro must have been something more critical... because it didn't smell like that