Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22disk with 8" drive on PC

Blog Entries

You're not trying to run 22disk off a floppy are you? Must be hard drive resident.

Ok, I finally got a good install.
    Had to hunt around and try different zips.
    The one that worked was 22dsk142 from cpm80.com
    I got a directory listing.
    That's as far as I've gotten but is huge progress.
    Now I can archive some old media which I'm going to put online for preservation purposes.
    Thanks for your help.
    The bottom line is, apparently there are some bad zips floating around.

Blog Entries

Don't blame me for that.

Is there an "official" download location? It's not on the Sydex website that I can see

Blog Entries

No, we discontinued the shareware distribution years and years ago. We'll still sell you licensed copies with support.

We were getting drowned by support requests from people with Windows XP and 7 wanting to run 22Disk on their USB floppy drives. Its time as a mainstream product has passed. We did have an unreleased version for 2K and XP that used our own kernel mode device driver, but aside from a few OEM sales, it just wasn't worth the support effort.

An of course, W10 is a whole different situation...

I know this problem well as I use to make stepper motor control systems that attached to the parallel port which I directly accessed via QBASIC, VB, C, etc.
    Eventually I had to offload the low-level control functions to a micro.

I guess Greaseweazle gets around that, but I picked the imagedisk solution for starters.
    I might eventually try it. Or Kryoflux or whatever else is out there.

Now that I can read/write most formats of disks (except intel's weird M2MFM used on intellecs),
    and now read CPM files directly, I can accomplish most of my preservation goals,
    But would like something simpler than dragging a 1.4mb USB drive between machines via GOTEK.
    Is there a better way to go to/from internet files on a modern Win10 machine to 5.25/8" retro disks and files?

I'm happy with 22Disk already and would gladly pay for it.

Blog Entries

Confession here--but for really run-of-the-mill stuff, I'm using an MCU. Not the greasweazle, but some thing a bit more flexible and robust and of my own design. Lets me do some predictive on-the-fly error correction and doesn't require any particular OS, other than something to talk commands to the MCU.

I'll still occasionally use the Catweasel as well--and I have DOB-equipped systems as well as oddball things like the Matchpoint PC. Mostly a matter of already-existing software.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); February 27th, 2020 at 10:08 AM.

Setup a windows 98SE machine with your FDC of choice and put it on your network. You can make a share on the 98 box that can be easily accessed by modern internet connected machines on your LAN. You can even write to double density 5.25" drives right from 98 or drop to DOS for the 8" or single density stuff

I've decided to try one of the Compact Flash IDE boards. $10
    Looks like I could copy a bunch of stuff and move it over.
    Hopefully will appear as D: on my K5 machine which has a secondary IDE port.
    Guess it gets FDISKed and FORMATed just like a HD.
    Thoughts?

Roger,
    Yes, I use those IDE boards, but with a Hitachi 6GB (or 4GB or 2GB) Micro Drive. Have had
    good luck with them and they work fine. I even boot DOS from one on my Linux Desktop,
    after unplugging the Hard Drive Power and Data Cable.

The Micro Drives used to be around $4.00 on ebay. Probably have gone up now days.

Larry