Image Map Image Map

Thread: Bootleg 5161

Default Bootleg 5161

There are open source clones of both the TX and RX cards from the 5161. I have an extra XT chassis and PSU with no system board. Thinking it might be a fun project to build these card designs and make a bootleg 5161 in a real 5162 chassis. I would finally be able to have enough slots to drive my 5151 and 5154 from authentic IBM EGA and MDA at the same time!

I will document this project on here if anyone finds it interesting. For now does anyone have a suggestion for a passive ISA backplane that will properly fit in an XT chassis?

Blog Entries

I know the the guy who reverse engineered and released the "bootleg" design. In fact he made me one of the transmitter cards for me, which works with my 5161 chassis and receiver card (he borrowed them for testing). So what you want to do is pretty easy to do.

I believe any passive backplane would work. The 5161 chassis is basically a 5160 chassis, which has the standard AT ISA spacing.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    I know the the guy who reverse engineered and released the "bootleg" design. In fact he made me one of the transmitter cards for me, which works with my 5161 chassis and receiver card (he borrowed them for testing). So what you want to do is pretty easy to do.

I believe any passive backplane would work. The 5161 chassis is basically a 5160 chassis, which has the standard AT ISA spacing.
    The 5160 chassis did not fit several late AT-style motherboards (pentium era) that I tried to install in it. I don't think the screw/standoff spacing for XT and AT clone boards is the same, however many AT-style boards do have some or all holes for both.

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post

You might need some extra circuitry for a clock.
    From the GitHub page:

It works perfectly with various passive ISA backplanes! There is one slight catch--the 14.318MHz ISA bus clock signal is generated on the IBM backplane but not typically on passive ISA backplanes. Not all cards need this signal, however.
    As for backplanes, Sergey Kiselev has one that should work, though it doesn't have that clock signal, and fitness is up in the air.
    Current favorites: IBM 5160 (EGA+Hercules+PGC, 4 floppies, XT-IDE), Compaq Portable ii (replaced PSU and keyboard, EMS card), ASR 33 Teletype (now FULLY armed and operational!)
    Wishlist: IBM 5161 (expansion chassis), IBM 5175 (monitor for PGC), IBM 3270 PC keyboard card, DG Nova IO controller, and the meaning of life.

I can spin up a clock circuit on an ISA card if needed, really more concerned with having a backplane that fits properly without any bodge nonsense

Where is the github page?
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Exceter View Post
    Where is the github page?
    https://github.com/schlae/ibm-extender

Funnily enough I was looking into the 5161 just today. The 5150 just doesn't have enough ISA slots for all the stuff I want it to do!

Definitely interested in following your progress on this one, sounds like a great project.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyGeekBoy View Post
    Funnily enough I was looking into the 5161 just today. The 5150 just doesn't have enough ISA slots for all the stuff I want it to do!

Definitely interested in following your progress on this one, sounds like a great project.
    I can attest that if you have a 5161 with just the receiver card, then Tubetime's transmitter card will definitely work.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10