Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long time lurker - first time poster?

Wink Long time lurker - first time poster?

Greetings everyone, I'm Jik.
    Longtime lurker, huge thanks to everyone keeping the bits fresh and community alive.

I maintain & enjoy owning everything Z80/4004/6800/68k/R4300i/RISC/SPARC/MIPS: Xerox 820|820-II|16/8, Tandy CoCo2, Commodore(VIC20&64), Amiga 2000, AppleIIgs, Cassiopeia A10, Famicom, N64, SGI Indy/Octane/Onyx, Dreamcast, and *all* Cyrix x86 compatible system variants & co-processors. +a few I'm surely forgetting to mention.

I can speak English, Bad-English, CP/M, Assembly, MUMPS, UnixV r3, VMSv5, System 7.5.5, most *nix variants, RS-232/485, BASIC (MS & Commodore-Lic./Famicom/Amiga/ExtendedColor), Bash, and Bocce.

I can hydrate via TCP/IP & SLIP.

I have (allegedly) been known to operate Title 15 non-compliant and/or unlicensed broadcast equipment, voted most likely to play Foghat's 'Slow Ride' on a pirate radio station, and I think the only Federal Agency more overzealous & unnecessary than the FCC is the BATFE.

I WILL fight anyone IRL that thinks Oracle's acquisition of Sun was a "good idea".

Known to few, Feared by some, Ignored by most, Misunderstood by all, and personally owed an apology by Larry Ellison.
    Also, Eric S. Raymond once told me to 'go screw myself'. (but with far more colorful language)

Hardware/Firmware/Software/Wetware/Anywhere/Everywhere.
    (at)mcpanceton on the twitternets & jake(at)blacklodgeresearch(dot)org mostly.
    EOL

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jik View Post
    I WILL fight anyone IRL that thinks Oracle's acquisition of Sun was a "good idea".
    I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that, ever.

Welcome to the forums!
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Sun used to have some pretty cool stuff like the M9000. I still see those once in a while at various customer sites. Heck I even still see the Sun branded hitachi disk arrays, but those all must be in 3rd party maintenance by now, I doubt hitachi is still supporting any.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Why did you lurk for so long? Afraid you might say something stupid? I never worry.

Apart from producing one of the most used languages of all time, their actual product line was on the wane. Isn't it natural for such a company to get bought up? **bracing myself for the inevitable**

Quote Originally Posted by Jik View Post
    Oh, they absolutely bought that so they could milk companies out of money for using Java.. Since Sun didn't care about it, oracle saw it as a way to buy up this technology everyone was using and start suing companies for billions for 'licensing fees'... especially google.

Oracles acquisition of Sun was a good idea... a good idea for Oracle to increase it's profits. It's like property companies that buy up housing properties (mobile home parks, etc) that aren't under rent control and raise rates 100% or more because they know the folks are locked in and can't easily move, so people either pay it until they could find a way to move or just walk away... which is what everyone had to do with Java.

Anyway, it irks me too.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

I love old sun stuff.. Solaris 10 forever!!!

And JIK what do you mean anything intel 4004.. What does thst encompas? One calculator??? Maybe.. What really ran a 4004?? And were talking the long cut of slowride right? Otherwise why bother.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I love old sun stuff.. Solaris 10 forever!!!

And JIK what do you mean anything intel 4004.. What does thst encompas? One calculator??? Maybe.. What really ran a 4004?? And were talking the long cut of slowride right? Otherwise why bother.
    There was more than just a single calculator for the 4004. After all, the 4004 was produced for more than a decade. https://www.technologizer.com/2011/11/15/intel-4004/ shows off pictures of some of the few devices that used the chip.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Oh, they absolutely bought that so they could milk companies out of money for using Java.. Since Sun didn't care about it, oracle saw it as a way to buy up this technology everyone was using and start suing companies for billions for 'licensing fees'... especially google.

Oracles acquisition of Sun was a good idea... a good idea for Oracle to increase it's profits. It's like property companies that buy up housing properties (mobile home parks, etc) that aren't under rent control and raise rates 100% or more because they know the folks are locked in and can't easily move, so people either pay it until they could find a way to move or just walk away... which is what everyone had to do with Java.

Anyway, it irks me too.
    You speak of profit as if it was a bad thing? Java has nothing to do with day to day human existence, as in your example of housing. Do you habe vested interests in Java? Why would you care one way or the other if not? Personally I've never been a fan of Java, not that it makes a differemce.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    There was more than just a single calculator for the 4004. After all, the 4004 was produced for more than a decade. https://www.technologizer.com/2011/11/15/intel-4004/ shows off pictures of some of the few devices that used the chip.
    Thanks I had no idea.
    Ahh good ole wall bowling

The 4004 was slow because it was restricted to use such a small package. It could have been 4 or 5 times faster. Even the 8008 was restricted by the packaging of that time. Larger packages were available but Intel didn't want to invest in it, at the time. The 4004 also used some interesting technologies. It use dynamic registers, borrowed from DRAM. It used a clever circuit on the I/O to boost the speed with single process type transistors ( PMOS ).
    It still wasn't the first microprocessor but it was the first commercially available one. The military had a uP controlling its jets.
    One of the most important things of that time was the EPROM. It made it practical for small companies to develop software that from early times was always buggy on the first few tries. Small fuse ROMs were the only other options. Mask ROMs were beyond what most could afford for development work.
    As much as the uP brought out the imagination of things to come, it would have only limped along without the EPROM.
    Dwight