Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Paint matching for apple II and Apple II plus (only)

Quote Originally Posted by DFinnigan View Post
    That must be what I have. I took another look at mine yesterday, and I think it has always been painted. It is even painted inside the case, just like an Apple II or II Plus. The paint is textured the same way too.

In case my words aren't enough to convince you, there are several references to painted cases on comp.sys.apple2. Here is a 2011 post by Sean Fahey.
    I am not saying I dont believe you. I just have never seen one. Apple did lots of strange things so sure why not.

Update: Paypal finally refunded me as of today. The seller (kingcobra ) never even chimed in once on the case or replied to any of my emails. I am pretty sure they are a scammer service.

But regardless trying to make lemonade from lemons and seeing as I have my money back I bought one of these paint sprayers on sale from home depot for $5.00 sprayer.jpg And since I still have those two 1oz water based enamel resin tubes they sent I was going to combine them and add some thinner so I can spray them. King cobra what they sent me.jpg

Im not a painter by any means. Does anyone know the correct amount of thinner to add to two ounces of this model paint so I can spray it?

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Update: Paypal finally refunded me as of today. The seller (kingcobra ) never even chimed in once on the case or replied to any of my emails. I am pretty sure they are a scammer service.

But regardless trying to make lemonade from lemons and seeing as I have my money back I bought one of these paint sprayers on sale from home depot for $5.00 sprayer.jpg And since I still have those two 1oz water based enamel resin tubes they sent I was going to combine them and add some thinner so I can spray them. King cobra what they sent me.jpg

Im not a painter by any means. Does anyone know the correct amount of thinner to add to two ounces of this model paint so I can spray it?
    I do not, but I'm definitely interested in input on this as well. As mentioned, this color paint isn't correct (or different then almond spray paint), but if this method works... I'd totally be interested in just taking an Apple II to Home Depot and do color matching if there was a way to get this converted into some kind of spray paint method.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Blog Entries

Make sure the thinner you select doesn't cause the plastic case material to fall apart. Be sure to test it on a suitable "inconspicuous location" before you thin the paint. The amount you need depends on how thick the undiluted paint is to start with, and the size of the nozzle opening. You might see if the manufacturer of the paint you received has some instructions on using it to spray in air guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cruff View Post
    Make sure the thinner you select doesn't cause the plastic case material to fall apart. Be sure to test it on a suitable "inconspicuous location" before you thin the paint. The amount you need depends on how thick the undiluted paint is to start with, and the size of the nozzle opening. You might see if the manufacturer of the paint you received has some instructions on using it to spray in air guns.
    All I can find is this quote from the manufacturer: ".. For use with Airbrush types,works great sprayed directly from the bottle, or reduced in any ratio with MISSION MODELS* Thinner."

* the name of the manufacturer of the paint.

Blog Entries

Are there any instructions in the sprayer you have? Obviously you need the paint to flow freely up the intake tube through the nozzle. How viscous is the undiluted paint?

Quote Originally Posted by cruff View Post
    Are there any instructions in the sprayer you have? Obviously you need the paint to flow freely up the intake tube through the nozzle. How viscous is the undiluted paint?
    So I opened the unit up, there wasn't much in the box. The aerosol canister, glass (nice to have actual glass!) bottle, and screw top lid.20200402_101652_resized.jpg

No instruction pamphlet.. So I started looking around the box.. Ever seen a manufacturer do this? 20200402_101705_resized.jpg I was hesitant to open it in case I needed to return, but didn't have a choice. 20200402_101740_resized.jpg
    Its pretty vague, all it really says is this: 20200402_101746_resized.jpg

I have seen these at home depot and have been pretty curious about them. I guess they parent selling as the price went from $13.00 down to $5.00. They didnt even have any on display I had to reach up and find a sealed box to open it.. Maybe they are short staffed with whats going on. They still had plenty of refill aerosol propellant too so if it works out ill stock up on a few.

And the paint is pretty viscous... Like nail polish.
    Last edited by VERAULT; April 2nd, 2020 at 06:44 AM.

Blog Entries

You'll need to experiment a little then. You will need to thin it until it flows freely. Maybe start by thinning by a 10:1 paint:thinner ratio and see how that changes how it flows as you pour it into another container. The paint should start to flow readily and stop quickly. If still looks too thick, try adding half as much thinner again as in the last step. If the paint gets too thin, that just means you'll need extra coats to get coverage.

I have read online that you should use water to dilute water based paint enamel. So that is what I will try instead of thinner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    I have read online that you should use water to dilute water based paint enamel. So that is what I will try instead of thinner.
    Correct, paint thinner for solvent based paints, water for water based paints. Try testing on one bottle, that way if you over dilute it you can add paint from the second one to thicken it back up.