Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hello! I got a machine that was sold for parts! May need assistance?

I have troubleshooted this pc to the end of my abilities. I wondered if part of the issue was something wrong with the on-board graphics chip. So I disabled it and used an ISA card I had. Issue persists. No more graphics scrambling when the machine locks up, but it still just locks up completely after a random interval of time. So my next question is, does anyone know a tech that can run additional tests on this board, and potentially repair it? I feel it's some chip, but I couldn't tell you which, and so as such I don't know if it's repairable. But I would still like to try. So if anyone has any suggestions of people I could contact to hire for repairs, I would be appreciative.

Nathan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanieltolb331 View Post
    I have troubleshooted this pc to the end of my abilities. I wondered if part of the issue was something wrong with the on-board graphics chip. So I disabled it and used an ISA card I had. Issue persists. No more graphics scrambling when the machine locks up, but it still just locks up completely after a random interval of time. So my next question is, does anyone know a tech that can run additional tests on this board, and potentially repair it? I feel it's some chip, but I couldn't tell you which, and so as such I don't know if it's repairable. But I would still like to try. So if anyone has any suggestions of people I could contact to hire for repairs, I would be appreciative.

Nathan
    Don't panic yet. If you haven't already done so, you need to check the system memory. Download this program and see what happens:
    https://www.memtest86.com/
    You'll need strip-out all unnecessary peripherals; i.e. just the video card and boot floppy drive. I would boot off the floppy and leave the HDD disconnected. Note that this test can take a considerable amount of time. Also, if your mobo has any chips that are socket mounted, you should apply light pressure to ensure proper seating. It would also be helpful if you provided some specs on your hardware. Good luck.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    It would also be helpful if you provided some specs on your hardware. Good luck.
    Here ya' go:

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=72424

BTW, memtest86.com isn't responding.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Here ya' go:

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=72424

BTW, memtest86.com isn't responding.
    Dunno - just downloaded it from the site and it seems okay to me.

I'm still getting this:

This site can’t be reached

The webpage at https://www.memtest86.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
    ERR_SPDY_INADEQUATE_TRANSPORT_SECURITY
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

I'm still getting this:

The webpage at https://www.memtest86.com/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
    Must be something local your way as it works okay for me.

Someone else out there give the link a try please.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    Must be something local your way as it works okay for me.

Someone else out there give the link a try please.
    I tried it with a proxy and it worked.

I disabled the on-board memory, put in a FPM module I had that was 8MB, and booted the system. I loaded a boot disk, as there is no Hard drive in the machine. After 4 minutes, the machine locks up. A reboot will allow the machine to reboot and it will work for about 2 minutes and then lock up again. On the 3rd boot, it doesn't boot. So it doesn't appear to be the memory, or if it is, it's the circuitry for the memory overall rather than just the integrated memory.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanieltolb331 View Post
    I disabled the on-board memory, put in a FPM module I had that was 8MB, and booted the system. I loaded a boot disk, as there is no Hard drive in the machine. After 4 minutes, the machine locks up. A reboot will allow the machine to reboot and it will work for about 2 minutes and then lock up again. On the 3rd boot, it doesn't boot. So it doesn't appear to be the memory, or if it is, it's the circuitry for the memory overall rather than just the integrated memory.
    I would kind of suspect the power supply. Do you have another unit to swap in.

I'm still getting this:

I can see it fine as well, something is wrong on your end.

I prefer www.memtest.org for Memtest86+