Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a bootable external hard drive for a Macintosh Plus

Blog Entries

Default Building a bootable external hard drive for a Macintosh Plus

So I got a Macintosh Plus and it appears to work (gets to the floppy question mark) but I have no bootable media.
    I do have an external SCSI drive (40SC) which does not currently seem bootable.

I have heard tell that there is a mechanism to configure this drive to be bootable by setting it up on PC Macintosh emulator.
    Has anyone done this and have a guide to share please ?

Failing this, I'm in the market for a set of 800K install floppies for System 7.

Thanks

If you install Mac OS to the hard drive and have the SCSI ID set to 0, the machine should boot to it.

Also, the machine is far too slow to run System 7. Even with the machine maxed out to 4 MB of RAM, it's going to be painful. Without having a CPU accelerator installed, the latest Mac OS I'd recommend is 6.0.8.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GiGaBiTe View Post
    If you install Mac OS to the hard drive and have the SCSI ID set to 0, the machine should boot to it.
    Thanks - does it have to be set to 0 - I thought it could be anything other than 7 ?

Most early SCSI Macs require the SCSI ID to be 0.

Set it to 0, see if it boots. At least eliminate an ID conflict. Then if it works, change the ID and see what happens. If it's the only device on the chain, should be OK. Just make sure it's terminated correctly.

Blog Entries

Well the 40SC external drive has a dead Sony drive inside so its never going to boot again.

I have connected it up to the SCSI interface on my PC and and its just not happy. I need to find another small SCSI drive to pop in the enclosure.

I have also tried imaging a 100MB SCSI ZIP drive (can only configure SCSI ID 5 or 6 on it) but sadly it won't boot either.

This is the process I followed - HERE
    Last edited by zippysticks; March 2nd, 2020 at 11:52 AM.

If you weren't across the pond, I'd offer to ship a SCSI drive. Customs is a nightmare here.

Before blaming the drive, make sure the power supply in the 40SC works. Try plugging the SCSI drive directly into the PC power supply to see if it works there. You may also want to try tapping the drive on the desk a few times on its side in case the motor or heads are stuck.

Making bootable ZIP disks can be very tricky, generally you'll need to do it on a Macintosh for it to work. When a PC reads a ZIP disk, it often does things that corrupt the mac file system. I know later 68k Macs like the LC III can boot off of one, but YMMV on earlier ones. My SE/30 hates ZIP drives.

Blog Entries

The zip drive was never mounted on the PC - I dd'd the image within from Linux direct to the drive. I have another options with a SCSI Jaz drive I have too.

I bootable floppy should sort me out but I'm having difficulty sourcing a 6.0.8 800K set of floppies in the UK right now.

Blog Entries

Bah. Tried with 2nd Zip drive - this time a zip250 model that has selectable termination - still no joy.
    I have managed to order a full set of original System 7 800k floppies on Ebay - should be here soon.

Zip drives were notoriously finicky with early SCSI machines, so I wouldn't feel discouraged by that. The thing in use at the time the Plus came out was Sybase cartridges, usually 20-80mb with 44mb being the most common in my experience. The cases were even the same form factor as the 20SC/40SC. There's a type of Syquest EzDrive with 135mb and EzFlyer with 230mb which are far more compatible than Iomega products which are common and still quite cheap, as is the media, which might be simpler to find than the increasingly overpriced surviving SCSI hard drives. Those have an external power supply which may be auto-stepping for 230v but I'm not sure, I'd have to dig mine out.

They're also quite convenient for older computers because there was a parallel port version for PCs for data transfer.