Image Map Image Map

Thread: Drive band

Blog Entries

Default Drive band

We really could do with a forum for peripherals.

I seem to be building a collection of 5 1/4 drives, at the last count its 15.

Anyway, I have a 5 1/4 TEC drive with a snapped head split drive band. While there are many arguments for just skipping it (like 40T single sided !), I like a challenge

I imagine there is no chance of finding a spare so I am going to attempt to make one

Band is 2 thou thick (0.05mm) by 7mm sping steel and that is easily available (1 metre is only about 8 ) and given its thickness should be easy to cut.

Will update with pictures, wish me luck.

(need to do something while self isolated, but that's another story)
    Last edited by Gary C; March 1st, 2020 at 03:32 AM.

Yes, I heard last week...

Still, you should get a lot of repairs done before you go “stir crazy”!

Dave

Blog Entries

Not got bored yet !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    Not got bored yet !
    Probably should have taken some pictures but

I have made a new taut band. Bought some 2 thou spring steel off ebay and cut to length. Then clamped both ends onto a cutting board the old on top of the new (apart from the missing bit), then using a sharp Stanley knife, cut out the shape of the band.

Punching out the holes needs careful work, better with an actual punch rather than a knife, but they just need to be big enough to get the screw through.

With the band long enough to get a pair of pliers on the adjustable end (first error), band fitted to stepper motor then tension applied and clamped.

Back in drive and it formats fine . Needs aligning but got a Mitsi 4853 thats giving me alignment headaches first.

I am actually surprised it worked.

(Im' out of isolation now so can't get anything done !)

Blog Entries

Well thats the mitsubishi M4853 re-aligned

Oddly, the track zero was way out but aligning was a nightmare, with the head set physically on track zero, then adjusting the sensor while watching the signal meant very little. Even set 'perfectly[, once the head was stepped in then out, it always settled three tracks out or one track in from track 0. No matter where the sensor was set, either +3 or -1.

In the end it was obvious, the sensor tells the board its near, then the electronics step to the nearest cardinal point of the stepper motor. Then the head needs adjusting over track zero. I suppose the track zero sensor is a bit coarse so it is a combination of sensor adjustment to get within 4 steps, then fine head alignment to set.

Was driving me mad !

So the mitsi goes in the PC with FDC which can double step for 40 track and my FD-55FV modded to 40/80 with the beeb and thats another job done

This is addictive. Probably will need to sell some of these drives before long.