Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 (the Corona Virus)

Personally I was hoping for nuclear armageddon or the zombie apocalypse, but this will do I suppose. :3

Now I just need to socket this SCSI controller chip that just arrived... *cough cough cough*
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Bottled water is one of the biggest scams in history.
    Yes, which is why the idea of people breaking down Costco's doors to stock up on it is so funny. Braving a heaving crowd of random people who *might just* give you a disease which you could never possibly catch from your faucet to buy water seems about as smart as descending naked into a dragon's den carrying a bucket because you've run out of gravel.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

I didn't take my chinese chip out of it's packaging for a few days. I was skeered. And this was after waiting 3 weeks for delivery. That's will power for you.

I get moderately severe colds 5 years apart at least. The reality is I don't really get sick at all anymore. The last time that I can remember sensing an oncoming cold (in 2015), because all the morons at work were sick, on my first day off woke up kind of dizzy, kind of a sore throat, and another symptom that escapes me. I kept a jacket on all day, late spring, took it easy, didn't stay in bed, just didn't get swetty. And likely the silver bullet was guzzling a half gallon of oj. Within hours all the symptoms vanished. Aspirin also helps too.
    Last edited by tipc; March 2nd, 2020 at 04:19 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I never buy bottled water.

'Buy water' is an oxymoron.

I've been drinking muni water (and lots of it) my entire life and haven't suffered any illnesses or other medical issues as a consequence.

Bottled water is one of the biggest scams in history.
    Your municipal water is free? Mine certainly is not, so I do buy my water, though the tap water is significantly cheaper that bottled water (and in my area, I think it tastes much better too in most cases).

As for the mortality rate, that is an overall rate. I believe the mortality rate for kids (like 5 or 6 to early teens) is actually zero, and for healthy adults 18 - ~60 it's something like 0.02% at this point in time.

The bottom line is the people who should be watching, studying and reacting are doing their job, none of them are panicking, and therefore I won't either. The planning in our county is for the worst case, and it is prudent IMO, but probably won't ever be needed.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
    IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
    Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

NJ water/sewer is 3x what it is in Long Island for instance. I remember a friend complaining she pays 50$ every 3 months. I pay that in 1 month.

Quote Originally Posted by lutiana View Post
    Your municipal water is free? Mine certainly is not, so I do buy my water, though the tap water is significantly cheaper that bottled water (and in my area, I think it tastes much better too in most cases).
    Yes, it is, relatively speaking.

At the current rate of $.0015 per gallon or $1.50 for 1,000 gallons I'd call that free.

A gallon of water in plastic bottles costs more than 1,000 gallons of tap water.

Bottled water is a SCAM!
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

What sucks here is that the water is cheap but the cost for waste water treatment is 3x (or something forget) the cost of the water since my city has its own treatment center and it is old.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    .... seems about as smart as descending naked into a dragon's den carrying a bucket because you've run out of gravel.
    But those fossilized dragon droppings make such great pea gravel...........

*cough cough cough sneeze*
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Currently the infected rate is under-reported while the death-rate is significantly harder to report inaccurately. So I'm guessing the mortality rate is less than the 2-3% so far. Sill, even at 1%, it would be larger than the Asian flu in the late 50's that killed an estimated 2 million people world-wide including 70,000 Americans (est. <1% mortality) and the Hong Kong flu in the late 60's that killed an estimated 1 million world-wide (est 0.5% mortality). COVID-19 is also believed to have an R0 factor twice as high as both of those pandemics. Sooooooo.. just saying. Medical technology is improved but there isn't a cure. Preventative care and isolation are the primary prescription; just like a half-century ago.

I did catch myself fiddling with a recently arrived JLCPCB board near my face the other day. It shouldn't transmit through surface contact, however I'm not going to start licking door knobs in China to prove the theory!
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

First, bottled water. The plastic used will leach chemicals into the water. The water that goes into it is often lightly purified. Purified water is not all that health for you but it is water.
    As of this covid-19. Comparing it to the flu is not even the same thing. The easiest way to spread is, as stated, hand to mouth. Still, one has to eat. It is about 20 to 50 times more deadly than the regular flu. For most people the death rate is related to how well one can handle a new virus. As was stated, the highest percentage of death are from those that have some immune troubles. That doesn't stop it from being a killer.
    There is no real treatment for viruses. Your body normally fights them of and then keep a memory of what that particular nasty looked like so it can fight it faster the next time. That is unless you get a nasty like the zika virus. It seems that that one erases the learned memory. The hole virus thing is so complicated. For everything, there is a counter case.
    If we let it rip through us like Iran has done ( the fools ), it will make a significant damage to almost every aspect of your lives. It has been easily shown that the ultimate being ( you know god or what ever ) doesn't protect foolish people. They die just like the rest.
    In any case, I'm in the 4 to 8% group and don't particularly want to die just yet because others don't think it is a big deal. I also don't want anyone to die gasping for air as they drown in their own fluids.
    Dwight