Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: smoking hard drive

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Between Barcelona and Bilbao, Spain
    Posts
    16

    Default smoking hard drive

    Hello!

    I have 2 IBM 5160, one that has two floppys and runs fine and the other with one floppy and a 20Mb HD that doesn't turns on, so I thought that i could install the HD on the working one and use it, took the Xebec and the HD and plugged everything in the unit.

    As I started the computer, puffff, it turns off and the HD was smoking, I took the card and the HD out and the computer still runs fine .

    But I can't see nothing wrong on the HD. Repair or buy another?



    Here some pics.

    Sorry for my english and my newbieness.

    Best regards,

    1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg6.jpeg7.jpeg8.jpeg9.jpeg

  2. #2

    Default

    Is that black stuff foam that is disintegrating? Maybe the foam was used to prevent the circuitry on that daughterboard from shorting out against the metal of the hard drive housing or computer case, so with the foam disintegrating, it is causing a short-circuit.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    As I started the computer, puffff, it turns off and the HD was smoking, I took the card and the HD out and the computer still runs fine .
    But I can't see nothing wrong on the HD.
    If you put your nose to the board, you may be able to home in on the component that emitted the smoke.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Between Barcelona and Bilbao, Spain
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    If you put your nose to the board, you may be able to home in on the component that emitted the smoke.
    Good point!

    The component that smells like bbq is this I5D2 chip. I am logging into ebay to search for a replacement. But i cant understand why it smoked on first place. I pluged the HD with connector p11. I did wrong?

    Thanks!

    Btw the black stuff does not smell but I will replace that nasty thing.

    Cheers

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Lancashire
    Posts
    393
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default

    When I got a head crash on our 80mb CMD disk drives, the room used to fill with smoke !

    Where was the smoke coming from ?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Between Barcelona and Bilbao, Spain
    Posts
    16

    Default

    near the power plug

  7. #7

    Default

    I was given a hard drive from an old NAS. I plugged it into a computer to see if it was any good, and a black blob near the power socket went up in smoke. I guess the hard drive had slightly different connections to standard, to prevent its use in a computer (although it's just a guess). Anyway it was now clearly dead, so in the bin it went.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, OH, USA
    Posts
    1,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    Hello!

    I have 2 IBM 5160, one that has two floppys and runs fine and the other with one floppy and a 20Mb HD that doesn't turns on, so I thought that i could install the HD on the working one and use it, took the Xebec and the HD and plugged everything in the unit.

    As I started the computer, puffff, it turns off and the HD was smoking, I took the card and the HD out and the computer still runs fine .

    But I can't see nothing wrong on the HD. Repair or buy another?



    Here some pics.

    Sorry for my english and my newbieness.

    Best regards,

    1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg6.jpeg7.jpeg8.jpeg9.jpeg
    My suspicion is that the computer power supply shut down in order to protect itself from an over-current situation, as the result of the hard drive drawing too much current. That might happen if the hard drive were trying to move one of its motors but was unable to do so because corrosion, which is evident in your photos, had frozen it in place. When a motor is running it draws relatively little current. When it is frozen it acts like a dead short, and when that happens you either melt the fuse, the motor winding or the power supply. If you're lucky it's the fuse.

    The heat from the over-current would melt the plastic, but I'm not sure the plastic is causing a short. If it's that nasty black foam they used in the 1980s and '90s that now turns to goo when you touch it, you can remove it with alcohol.

    First of all: Does the hard drive spin up when power is applied? You can determine that before you mount it in the chassis: Take one of the power supply's dual voltage Molex plugs and attach it to the drive. If it spins / whirrs when you apply power that's a positive sign. If it doesn't, find another drive.

    HTH

    -CH-

  9. Default

    Bring the HD when you come to Barcelona, we can have a look together.

  10. #10

    Default

    It was more likely a tantalum capacitor.
    I see that the motor has a brake. Do not attempt to spin the motor by hand. The brake means that i has one of the older head styles. If you rotate the motor backwards, it will cut into the media surface and ruin the drive. The heads had a sharp edge in the back side and are expected to only rotate the one way.
    Dwight

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •