Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Large PC collections?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    2,704

    Default

    Ive said many times my first PC was the IBM 5160 XT. I saw a few here and there through the years. Never really came across any 5150's in my searches (for a good price). I assumed most had been recycled. Seems in the past few years they have been becoming popular and people have uncovered many because they started showing up everywhere. Now I have 6.

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    __________________________
    SONY
    Japan 8715FX

    CXQ70108D-8'84 NEC
    __________________________

    I suppose it is a V20 clone judging by the copyright. All I knew was the chip was conspicuous by it's placement and absense of an Intel (or NEC) designation.
    Sony often made ICs with weird numbers for their own use. So when you need spare parts for your Sony product, you buy their expensive part, rather than the cheap(er) original

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    227

    Default

    Thanks, and my apologies Trixter for misinterpreting your post. I was perhaps a bit too tired yesterday evening. However, we are on the "same wavelength" (to overuse a phrase) with the focus of collecting early PCs ala IBM. My collection is very much focused on IBMs as well. I think of them as analogous to Ford's model T, in that they weren't the first or only computers around, but they were the first to successfully define and mass produce the "PC" as we know it. Without IBM, there wouldn't have been any clones to follow, or at least the computer landscape would be different today... like maybe we'd be collecting commodore 64's or something

    I do find the clones interesting as well because there's a lot of variety in the many different implementations of the PC platform. When I was a kid in 80's, I had a clone PC of my own, but my parents both rocked IBMs, so there's a place in my nostalgic head for all of them

  4. #34

    Default

    I'm trying to have 1 each of the classic IBM's from the 80's. At this point, I have the 5150, 5160, 5170, 5162, and the 5151 and 5153 monitors. I'm still hoping to get a 5161 and 5154. I also have a VIC-20 my grandmother have me and an Osborne that I found at the dump.
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Exceter View Post
    I'm trying to have 1 each of the classic IBM's from the 80's. At this point, I have the 5150, 5160, 5170, 5162, and the 5151 and 5153 monitors. I'm still hoping to get a 5161 and 5154.
    I think many of us here have the same goals with IBM systems. (thus driving the prices up)

    I myself have a 5150 rev A, 5160 640k rev, a pair of 5170s (UK & US built) 5153 & 5154.

    I'd really like to get my hands on a 5151 monitor and 5155 portable PC. Maybe even a 5140 convertible if i can find one for a good price, but thats lower on the list.

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chris_nh View Post
    I do find the clones interesting as well because there's a lot of variety in the many different implementations of the PC platform.
    +1 for this, many clone manufactures found interesting and unique ways to differentiate themselves in a competitive market, driving prices down, and widespread adoption of the PC platform.

    Compaq, Leading Edge, & Tandy just to name a few.

    The level of integration in clone systems, building everything into the motherboard, or combining base functions into larger custom chips (sort of like a modern chipset) really moved things forward. The genuine IBM systems were big, heavy, expensive, and fairly complicated. Incredibly capable & expandable, but it really took the clone manufactures innovating on ways to lower costs to bring these systems to the masses.

    I really find systems like the Leading Edge Model D fascinating, with virtually everything required for the PC to operate built into the motherboard, with the entire system being almost half the size of the genuine IBM, and at half the price.

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkdonut666 View Post
    +1 for this, many clone manufactures found interesting and unique ways to differentiate themselves in a competitive market, driving prices down, and widespread adoption of the PC platform.

    Compaq, Leading Edge, & Tandy just to name a few.

    The level of integration in clone systems, building everything into the motherboard, or combining base functions into larger custom chips (sort of like a modern chipset) really moved things forward. The genuine IBM systems were big, heavy, expensive, and fairly complicated. Incredibly capable & expandable, but it really took the clone manufactures innovating on ways to lower costs to bring these systems to the masses.

    I really find systems like the Leading Edge Model D fascinating, with virtually everything required for the PC to operate built into the motherboard, with the entire system being almost half the size of the genuine IBM, and at half the price.
    Clones played a critical role in the evolution of PC's for sure. However, as a collector, I tend to avoid them because of how hard it is to find replacement parts and, more importantly, documentation. For all their flaws, the original IBM PC's were extremely well documented.
    Last edited by Exceter; March 12th, 2020 at 02:23 PM.
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Fairfield, Ohio
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkdonut666 View Post
    I think many of us here have the same goals with IBM systems. (thus driving the prices up)

    I myself have a 5150 rev A, 5160 640k rev, a pair of 5170s (UK & US built) 5153 & 5154.

    I'd really like to get my hands on a 5151 monitor and 5155 portable PC. Maybe even a 5140 convertible if i can find one for a good price, but thats lower on the list.
    I'm the opposite; I have a Convertible and I'd like to find a Portable. My friends threw mine away when I was in the hospital.

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I'm the opposite; I have a Convertible and I'd like to find a Portable. My friends threw mine away when I was in the hospital.
    I'd find new friends...just sayin'

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T-R-A View Post
    I'd find new friends...just sayin'
    yeah I'd be throwing my friends away. possibly into one of these:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •