Image Map Image Map

Thread: Can anyone here do SMT rework?

Default Can anyone here do SMT rework?

If you have the tools & skills to perform SMT rework, please contact me. I have a small repair job that needs done, replacement of a 28-pin TSSOP.

Thank you!
    Man's inhumanity to man is only surpassed by his cruelty to animals.

If you don't find someone closer, I can help out.

Heather

I've used some of that solder temperature lowering stuff ( forget what it is called ) and then use a heat gun. You need to clean if off real good with solder wick.
    Soldering, I just use small chisel point iron and lots of liquid flux. I tape it down until two corners are tacked. I inspect when done with a microscope.
    The heat gun is what I use for shrink tubing and the micro scope is just a cheap scope.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Chip-quik. I've used Cerrobend 158 filings (powder) and a 150W PAR spotlight to do the same thing. Use a toothbrush to clean things up.

I vastly prefer using a hot air rework station to remove SOP, TSSOP, QFP, etc. Just make slow even passes round all of the chip legs in a circular motion then pick up the part with tweezers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Chip-quik. I've used Cerrobend 158 filings (powder) and a 150W PAR spotlight to do the same thing. Use a toothbrush to clean things up.
    Yep thats the stuff Chip-quik alloy. I suspect it has indium in it. I see one can get it from amazon. I'd gotten a couple piece of it from a friend. Works great. You just need to clean well when done ( you have to do that anyway ).
    Dwight

Blog Entries

If "here" is Oslo, Norway the answer is yes.
    Torfinn

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Yep thats the stuff Chip-quik alloy. I suspect it has indium in it. I see one can get it from amazon. I'd gotten a couple piece of it from a friend. Works great. You just need to clean well when done ( you have to do that anyway ).
    Dwight
    SDS for Chip-Quik SMD45

The OP posted the same post on Lemon64 after I offered here so I guess he's trying to find someone closer.

Heather