Image Map Image Map

View Poll Results: What is a good name for a TRS80 Voice Synthesizer Project?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • TRS*Talker/80

9 45.00%
  • TashTalker-80

9 45.00%
  • TrisTalker.80

2 10.00%
  • ShackSpeak

1 5.00%
  • Speak&Shack

0 0%
  • ShackSpeech

0 0%
  • Speak&Trash

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Who owns rights to Tandy trademark / name / label?

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Then call it the TrashTalker-80.

Not calling a trash-80 speech synthesizer a trashtalker is an incredibly wasted opportunity.
    ... to promote the use of a slur.

I'm fine with "wasting" that opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by gp2000 View Post
    ... to promote the use of a slur.

I'm fine with "wasting" that opportunity.
    ... and the Podcast guys are also calling themselves "TrashTalkers".
    @pski / Pete, would you have an issue if we used the name for the speech synth?

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaMikel View Post
    ... and the Podcast guys are also calling themselves "TrashTalkers".
    @pski / Pete, would you have an issue if we used the name for the speech synth?
    Feel free but I think using the "trash" moniker does feel more offensive when applied to a hardware product versus a talk show.
    To me, something like Talker-80 would actually be better as it is more inline with the traditional naming.
    Again though, its your product, so call it whatever floats your boat! I'm happy to see new hardware for the TRS-80!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaMikel View Post
    Does anybody know the answer to this question? Would it be possible to create a hardware device and give it a "Tandy" in its name? I was thinking of "TandyTalker" or something for the speech synth that I am building. Will I get a restraining order for trademark infringement or does nobody care these days?
    Me personally would probably not invest in something using trash as part of its name unless i really needed it.

Something that rymes with tandy is ok. Bank and banc is to legally different things.

Tandy talker cannot use.
    Dandy talker
    Tan talker
    Etc

I used to go to a RS where a salesman hated trs80 and always called it trash. I always wanted to punch the ducker....

i shuda back then....i would have been out of jail long long ago by now.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    Then call it the TrashTalker-80.

Not calling a trash-80 speech synthesizer a trashtalker is an incredibly wasted opportunity.
    To quote the imperishable word of Chuck Billy, whose utterance transcended punctuation:

PREACH

Quote Originally Posted by danielbooneamerica View Post
    Something that rymes with tandy is ok.
    Bandy

7. Default Mislead Trademarks

Another example of mislead trademarks would be AST. AST Research Inc. (1980 - January 1999) after that was AST Computers LLC (January 1999 - Summer of 2001) formed by Beny Alagem (referenced earlier as an Israeli tank driver and his buddies) after he left Packard Bell. Same concept still applies and has caused confusion for many with AST LLC systems when trying to find information that ends up being more likely of the AST Research systems.