Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is This The End For VMS Hobbyists?

Default Is This The End For VMS Hobbyists?

I received this email this morning:

“Dear HPE OpenVMS hobbyist,

This is to inform you that HPE is concluding the HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program in alignment with the HPE OpenVMS support roadmap.
    If you wish to understand more details, please reach out to us at the earliest through the usual license renewal webpage.

Thank you.

HPE OpenVMS team”

Oh well there are other solutions, but I DO prefer not to hack. Mine expires next month. Perhaps they’ll issue a permanent license?
    Last edited by bobaboba; March 7th, 2020 at 12:05 AM.

Since VMS have been taken over by VSI, I would assume it is VSI that people will have to try and reach out to.

Blog Entries

I found this with a search that turned up some discussion on comp.os.vms: https://training.vmssoftware.com/hob...v5OTUnu2S9-NPQ but it seems to only apply to an Alpha emulator running on Windows and is only good for 180 days.

Obviously that doesn't help anyone with real hardware.

I've sent VMS Software a question about those of us with old hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by bobaboba View Post
    I received this email this morning:

“Dear HPE OpenVMS hobbyist,

This is to inform you that HPE is concluding the HPE OpenVMS Hobbyist license program in alignment with the HPE OpenVMS support roadmap.
    If you wish to understand more details, please reach out to us at the earliest through the usual license renewal webpage.

Thank you.

HPE OpenVMS team”

Oh well there are other solutions, but I DO prefer not to hack. Mine expires next month. Perhaps they’ll issue a permanent license?
    This is being discussed on several lists. C.O.V., HECnet and the EncompassUS VMS lists primarily. If you reapply now (and you should, even if your licenses don't expire soon) you get a new license which is good through December 31st, 2021. HPE is assuming that VSI will have some sort of Hobbyist program set up by then. Technically, VSI can't produce licenses for any VMS product which they haven't produced themselves. So that means they are currently NOT able to create VAX licenses. They can make ones for Alpha and Itanium and the forthcoming x86. But this could easily change as HPE shuts down it's OpenVMS activity.

I was expecting this based on the roadmaps from HPE, but this is still a shock.

I really hope VSI provides VAX licenses for hobbyists because all I run are VAXes. I have ways around it, but I'd rather use legit VMS licenses and not have to go that route.
    Collector of all things Digital, but mostly VAXes and corporate knick-knacks (books, mugs, etc).
    VAXes: VAX 4000-100A, VAXstation 3100-30, VAXserver 3100, VAXstation 4000 VLC
    Randoms: DECpc LPv+, Rainbow 100B, DECbridge 90, DECserver 300

Quote Originally Posted by DECtechGuy View Post
    I have ways around it, but I'd rather use legit VMS licenses and not have to go that route.
    My view too.
    There have been VMS licence generation hacks around for years, but I’ve always preferred to support the official hobbyist program as HP to their credit have done.

Quote Originally Posted by bobaboba View Post
    My view too.
    There have been VMS licence generation hacks around for years, but I’ve always preferred to support the official hobbyist program as HP to their credit have done.
    And I just supported it today when I read the announcement, my request for another license is in.

C.O.V. is of the opinion (and i'm sure they'd argue fact) that VSI cannot produce a VMS license for VAX, something I hope will not be the case when (or if) VSI starts a hobbyist program that isn't oriented towards students.
    Collector of all things Digital, but mostly VAXes and corporate knick-knacks (books, mugs, etc).
    VAXes: VAX 4000-100A, VAXstation 3100-30, VAXserver 3100, VAXstation 4000 VLC
    Randoms: DECpc LPv+, Rainbow 100B, DECbridge 90, DECserver 300

It's been nearly 30 years since DEC released a new VAX model. Any estimates about how many are left in production? If VSI is a viable business, are their customers primarily Alpha and Itanium users? Basically, does VSI make any money on VAX?

I've got my updated licenses in, and the expiration is 01-01-21, so at least there's that. VSI is very responsive though and they're on all the mailing lists so the only hold-up on getting a hobbyist program rolling will be licensing quirks which I have every confidence that they've been working out behind the scenes. They're very aware of how concerned people are about this.

Thing is, VSI isn't working on VAXen. So, no idea what's going to go on there. Hopefully we'll get some insight regarding the licensing issues for hobbyists soon. Otherwise, we'll all be rolling the clock back on our SimH setups in perpetuity.

Quote Originally Posted by bifo86 View Post
    Otherwise, we'll all be rolling the clock back on our SimH setups in perpetuity.
    Is setting the clock back to a date prior to the expiration of the license any more legitimate than regenerating the license yourself with an updated expiration date in the future, or with no expiration date?