Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide upgrade direction for PC

Blog Entries

i7-920 is older then dirt. Just for a comparison I compared that CPU to a Thinkcentre i5-4570 I recently snagged for $10

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...570/1981vs2770

The i5 beat the i7 by 50% and was even faster at 8 core while only having 4 (no hyperthreading like the i7).

For productivity I would not touch Intel these days because AMD seems to have taken the IPC lead and is barely slower in clock speeds but offers more cores and threads for less money then Intel and at a much reduced power requirement (basically flipped what Intel used to be best at).

Now lets compre that i7-920 to a new Ryzen 3700x (8 core 16 threads) which is around $299 on newegg currently:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...00X/1981vs4043

Single core is 100% faster then your current CPU and 8 core is 200% faster even before using the extra threads.

That CPU will work with any of the current AMD AM4 motherboards and uses the same DDR4 that any deskstop Intel board would use.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown_K View Post
    i7-920 is older then dirt. Just for a comparison I compared that CPU to a Thinkcentre i5-4570 I recently snagged for $10

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...570/1981vs2770

The i5 beat the i7 by 50% and was even faster at 8 core while only having 4 (no hyperthreading like the i7).

For productivity I would not touch Intel these days because AMD seems to have taken the IPC lead and is barely slower in clock speeds but offers more cores and threads for less money then Intel and at a much reduced power requirement (basically flipped what Intel used to be best at).

Now lets compre that i7-920 to a new Ryzen 3700x (8 core 16 threads) which is around $299 on newegg currently:

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...00X/1981vs4043

Single core is 100% faster then your current CPU and 8 core is 200% faster even before using the extra threads.

That CPU will work with any of the current AMD AM4 motherboards and uses the same DDR4 that any deskstop Intel board would use.
    FWIW I 2nd all of that. The 3700 series chip will keep you in the game for a long time to come. Also, do yourself a big favor and grab at least a 2070 or 1070 video card.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Thanks!

I've no problem building something - I've been building PCs since I was 13 (hint: long time ago). But it has been a while since I've built a performance PC. I used to be big into gaming but as I've gotten older my patience for that has almost disappeared. I spend more time with vintage tech than current these days. You know that term: just enough computing? That's me lately.

My strategy years ago was just to buy stuff one or two years removed from 'current', or trade with clients/friends. Save a lot of money that way and still get a performance boost. I've got a bunch of LGA 1151 boards lying around, and tons of DDR4. But yeah I was hung up on which CPU to use and which would be best suited for the main task I'd now like to throw at it. But I'm being persuaded a little bit to investigate AMD.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

If you already have lga1151 mobos and ram - duh! - just buy a cpu. Now, and what possessed me to buy this stuff in the first place, *and* I'm not recommending you buy what I bought, but I purchased, all new on ebay, an Asus lga1151 mining mobo + celeron g3930 + 4gb Crucial 2400mhz ddr4 for under 100$ total to my door. The g3930 is a bargain basement cpu (which runs the ram at 2133mhz), actually what makes most sense with this mobo (if you were gpu mining, which really doesn't make any sense anymore), but paired with a gtx 1060, accordimg to a video I just watched, you could have a much worse gaming pc. I've never owned a modern gpu, eventually I will, I don't have a lot of patience for gaming either. Eventually, if I keep this, I'll get a gpu and upgrade the cpu (which came with a heatsink by the way). You could spend 1-200$ for a cpu and have something quite respectable. You don't have to go balls to the walls with a gpu. A lot of people still live by the rule "buy the most that you can afford now". Not me. 200$ for a gpu will do you fine.

The guy who is still selling these Asus boards sent me an offer, 40$. I bit. Now he wants 129$!?? I have the whole kit and kaboodle up for auction fornl 115$ shipped. But no one really wants a mining mobo as a desktop/gamer.

Blog Entries

The only real gaming I do anymore is retro gaming, new stuff just isn't that fun or I don't feel like learning the gameplay. I have more fun putting older systems together and collecting GPUs then I do playing most games.

If you fall behind the cutting edge long enough you can pretty much pick up gear that is faster then you currently have for next to nothing. Cutting edge people in 2020 upgrade as much as I did in 1990 (every couple years).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

'tipc' makes a lot of good points but the GPU is the heart of the system for me. I bought a 1080 (x2) when they first came out 4 or 5 years ago and they're still unsurpassed, maybe a 2080 or 'ti' version has a slight edge, but this card rocks. It was good enough that when I had both installed in my Intel Z170 (I7-6700K), the performance increase was negligible, so I sold one of them for just about what I paid new for it. X590 chipset is what I recommend now, but be aware of Gigabyte's quality control issues (had to recently take one back and it wasn't the first time), I kind of favor Asus. A good monitor is also a must. I personally have an Asus ROG 4K 27" and between the chip, GPU, and the monitor you'll never see a stutter.
    Good luck with your new build.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

All my points are great. Remember that!

The amount of memory installed on a video card also seems to be a crucial factor.

Blog Entries

[QUOTE=tipc;610879]All my points are great. Remember that!

I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
    I don't get it.
    Don't feel bad...
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I think I am reaching the point of finally upgrading my desktop. I've not done so in eons.. the cpu is a first gen core i7. Apart from ssd , I've scarcely touched it. It's just always worked and these days I almost never play games or anything that would require it. Mainly where I'm running into trouble is editing with Premiere. I've upgraded to the subscription version but my machine can't even handle basic editing with proxy enabled without stuttering and crashing at random intervals.
    This is exactly the situation I was in 2 years ago and have relevant experience to share, including Premiere speedup. I was on an i7-980 and upgraded to an i7-8700k. Both at stock speeds, the 8700k is about twice as fast in some benchmarks, like FFMPEG h.264 encoding.

Premiere uses the embedded GPU in many desktop intel chips to perform accelerated h.264 and h.265 decoding and encoding if you turn on the embedded GPU in your BIOS (some people turn it off when they add a gaming card). This makes it possible to edit 4k h.264/h.265 without needing proxies, although sometimes I do edit with proxies if I'm trying to turn a 60-minute piece of footage into a meaningful 90 seconds, which is a lot of seeking around, logging clips, etc. I also have two nvidia GPUs in my system, which greatly accelerate NeatVideo noise reduction (it's entirely handled by those GPUs).

A youtube video from a few months ago demonstrated that a 32-core AMD Threadripper 3970X can outperform an intel setup using software alone (there's no embedded GPU accelerated encoding/decoding in Premiere when run on AMD). It's a monster, but costs more, so it's up to you. Another alternative, if you don't want to go Intel, is DaVince Resolve, which accelerates everything using whatever GPU(s) are installed in the system.

All this being said: I was editing 4k on my i7-920 using 1280x720 cineform proxies just fine after ensuring all my footage and caches were on an SSD drive. So if editing 4k is all you want to do on your existing hardware, $100 for an SSD will cover it. The export will take several hours, but there's no reason your edits have to.
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)