Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Working on some Compaq portables - tips/tricks?

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdonut666 View Post
    get at PICO ATX PSU and an ATX-AT adapter. preferably one that can provide the -5v, not super necessary but better if possible.

then chop the AT connectors off and wire the appropriate voltages to the Compaq motherboard power connector. boom.

cheap (ish) and reliable solution. This is what I did for a Tandy 1000 machine that had a damaged PSU. it works great.
    I'm struggling to find something with the -5v. Do you have any recommendations?

Typical....only suggestions are things that are lacking in requirements, with follow up questions ignored.

Well....I found another portable that boots up to looking for a disk. But.....won't read the disk. Took it apart to give things a look over....that power supply measures no positive values properly, only the -5 and -12 consistently measure. Not sure if it's being flaky, or somehow is able to boot to looking for a disk with only that. But.....out yet more money for another boat anchor piece of GARBAGE!!!!

Not that hard to service? Please! I've got 2 of them....with dead power supplies....and NO OPTIONS FOR REPAIR!!!!!!!

If compaq works so much better.....how come I have 2 that are dead?

Please, for the love of god.....how do I get a working power supply for just one of these?!?!?!?!?

Having a tantrum wont help. Compose yourself.

I've been asking for help in a forum devoted to this stuff for some time and have gotten nowhere! Supposedly people are able to fix these things up.....a newbie asks for a little help and advice, and gets the cold shoulder and the runaround.. I'm just trying to get into this hobby, but I'm stuck and no one will help.

First off noone is going to do it for you. People will give advice for you to figure it out yourself. You seem to get frustrated pretty easily.. If thats the case this may not be a hobby you want to get into. Its always frustrating. Always. Decades old equipment is always breaking down. If you cant deal with it take up fishing. Then again fishing and this hobby require alot of patience.. I wish i was fishing.

No one can do everything. There's a lot I can do. Unfortunately, getting into the micro electronics and soldering is plain and simple not in my capability, and if I tried to I'd completely destroy vintage computer after vintage computer after vintage computer....thoroughly....meticulously.....until there was noting left but a smoldering mess of former electronics.

I need someone that can help with a power supply repair.

Or a workable solution for a modern type of replacement.

How is everyone else keeping these machines going? I only got one sorta suggestion for the power supply issue, without any follow up explanation as to how to get a -5v on a modern solution. What's everyone else doing?

How can I get a working power supply for a compaq portable?

I'll buy a working power supply and exchange for one that needs to be fixed up.

I'll pay someone to service one.

I'll work with someone, hold a flashlight.

I'll do anything and everything I reasonably can to make this work. But I can't just jump in and start burning things with a soldering iron without a clue how these things work, without a schematic, without a thorough understanding of how power supplies work, without an understanding of how to trace problems down......

I've got to start somewhere. How did you all get started....you all didn't just pick up a soldering iron and start fixing power supplies....somewhere along the way, people taught you things.

No one will teach me anything.

I'm stuck.

Excuse me if I'm a bit frustrated at being shut out of trying to learn my way in any kind of reasonable way.

Im not trying to be a jerk but if you arent able to even solder this field is not for you. Is there any particular reason or ailment stopping you from learning to solder? I learned to solder slopily as a kid but with years of practice got good at it. Components will always fail. Fuses and resistors will blow. Wires will need to be joined and removed. I solder almost everyday to work on items in my collection. If there isnt anything physically stopping you from soldering i suggest you learn.

I dont know for sure if your portable 1 psu is faulty or not. If it is it can be repaired. However sometimes the repair is beyong our skillset. For instance i had an ibm 5155 with a bad psu. I worked on it for a whole year. I got a colleague more skilled than myself to work on it with me and evetually he threw his hands up. That psu was a dodgy build in my opinion. So i gutted it and replaced it with the guts of a 5160 psu. Worka great now.

There are plenty of small modular psus you can find and use. Cant recommend one off hand but look online there are plenty.

I've looked online but they all take 12v dc in which still leaves me looking for an option to get from ac to dc 12v, and they don't include a -5V. I hear there are options, but I've yet to find one anywhere, and the most I've gotten is there are plenty.

I can half assed manage some soldering....but it's a matter of just not having the knowhow of tracing a problem and replacing the right parts. I take out a power supply, look at all the capacitors, tiny capacitors, resister......I don't know how to trace anything, how to find a problem part. And if I need to start dealing with the tiny things........

Look, I've built plenty of machines from off the shelf parts, been doing that for years. Troubleshooting, tracing down problems, I can do that when it comes to changing out off the shelf parts. No problem there. Installing OS's, software, figuring out the older OS's, how to get them to work with different equipment, finding drivers....I can manage that end of it. My sticking point is repairing the individual components themselves and getting into tracing electronics and soldering. Don't have that skill. Might be interested in learning it if I had a good teacher. Otherwise....I'm completely lost. Tried several times. Tried fixing up radios, destroyed many antiques. I'm done playing that game. I need a teacher to teach me, or someone I can work with that can do the parts I can't do. And I'm not looking for freebies, I'm not looking to be given anything, but I'm just trying to find a way to either trade talents or buy service. If I could find someone local to bring things to for the repairs I can't do, I'd gladly pay. If I had a friend that was also into this type of thing that needed help figuring some things out......

....like I said, I can't do it all. And so far all I'm doing is amassing a collection of broken things that I can't get running at all, and that's not a fun hobby. I need help. I've come here asking. So far I've only gotten vague responses. And now this exchange trying to defend my inability to fix the things I'm asking about.

We have a marketplace here. Make a post there stating you are looking for a working PSU for a Compaq Portable. Keep in mind though, because you aren’t going to find one overnight. This is 30-year-old piece of equipment, and parts can be a little tricky to find. So please don’t make a post a day after starting the thread and say “no help... as usual.”

Trying to show someone how to fix a vintage power supply with absolutely no electronics knowledge, and without even seeing a single picture of it, is quite hard. Does that make sense? We can’t just magically know exactly what component is bad. That’s not how it works.

No one is “shutting you out,” but we can’t force you to understand electronics. Go to YouTube and watch some videos of people repairing vintage computers. That’s how I learned...
    Compaq - “It simply works better”

Two people in this thread have suggested that it should be easy to find a modern mini power supply. When pressed for specifics, nothing. As I've stated now several times, this PSU seems to need -5v, which seems to be a pin that was phased out many years ago and no modern options provide. If people are somehow doing this....how are you all dealing with the -5v issue? People are claiming to do this....but not one person has answered this question.

I'm not trying to get pushy, but it's getting frustrating for vague suggestions/claims to be made, and no follow up response when pressed for details about glaring omissions. It's like doing a google search for something, and finding numerous forum threads from years ago with misinformation, or half answers, or that suddenly end in "figured it out" without any explanation. Sure, that's great for them, but we're cluttering the web with rubbish that clogs search engines and wastes people's time. If we're going to put information on the web, I think we have a responsibility to finish the job and get the details properly documented here. I always make a point to go back to anything that I've found more information about and type up the details.