Image Map Image Map

Thread: I rescued an abandoned AT&T 3B2

Default I rescued an abandoned AT&T 3B2

While I have an interest in vintage computing, I also dabble in urban exploring. Surprisingly, the two hobbies collide pretty often as I find myself stumbling across vintage computers rotting away all the time. I usually never take anything from abandoned buildings, but when I saw this AT&T 3B2 sitting mostly unharmed in a building that had already been vandalized to a heavy extent, I decided to rescue it before kids got to it first and destroyed it. I got in contact with the property owner and managed to strike up a deal to take the terminal. The keyboard is pretty disgusting but I think it'll be very satisfying to clean. The building has been without maintenance for more than two decades, so I have no idea what damage will have been done to the terminal.

I'll be starting to clean it later this week and I'll maybe even get to opening it up.

IMG_4354.JPG

IMG_4354.JPG

IMG_4355.JPG

IMG_4356.JPG
    Last edited by jacksonh22; March 9th, 2020 at 01:30 PM.

This Win books look nice(like the file cabinet), shame that they may vanish...

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonh22 View Post
    I also dabble in urban exploring
    hopefully keeping your thefts below felony level

Blog Entries

Don't forget that Urban Exploration has a written code of conduct.

Explorers follow ethics like not taking anything found in these places or leaving any trace of their presence. Graffiti is definitely frowned upon, as is any form of vandalism. Nothing should be taken or broken. As an explorer called TunnelBug succinctly put it, If its gone, then other people who come here wont be able to enjoy it
    Can't say You should completely ignore it but won't tell you to follow it when exceptions are granted.
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Don't forget that Urban Exploration has a written code of conduct.

Can't say You should completely ignore it but won't tell you to follow it when exceptions are granted.
    I think I made the right judgement call on this one. Had it been a place with not a speck of graffiti or whatnot I would never have done this, but it was just a matter of time before someone smashed in the CRT.

...but when I saw this AT&T 3B2 sitting mostly unharmed in a building...
    Do you have any pictures of it? What model?

The AT&T 4425 terminal is a nice find to go with it...
    Last edited by eeguru; March 9th, 2020 at 07:41 PM.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

I got in contact with the property owner and managed to strike up a deal to take the terminal.
    Sounds like you did it the right way to me. Nice save! Hopefully you can get it working, but from the pics, that's going to be some work.

P.S. - What's the gold top CPU on that motherboard? Almost looks like a Cyrix 686, but can't quite make it out. Edit: Now that I look a tad more I think that says Intel on it. Early Pentium I'm guessing.
    Last edited by liqmat; March 16th, 2020 at 05:09 AM.