Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tons of IBM Computers rotting away at an Abandoned School

Default Tons of IBM Computers rotting away at an Abandoned School

I recently came across this discovery while exploring an abandoned school in Upstate New York. I figured some of you might enjoy seeing it, however it is sad to see. The school's been sitting abandoned since 2009, however the computers are in phenomenal condition. There were three of these computer rooms in total, each with about thirty computers I'd guess.

Computers1.JPG

Computers2.JPG

Computers3.JPG

Computers4.JPG

Computers5.JPG

Computers6.JPG

Computers7.JPG

Computers8.JPG

There were also several cabinets full of keyboards. Most were membrane switches, but a few were buckling spring.

keyboards.png

Here's a picture of the inside of one of the computers.

inside.png

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonh22 View Post
    exploring an abandoned school
    ie. trespassing

do you really want to post that fact on a public forum?

Blog Entries

Looks like relatively new stuff to me.

How is a place in upstate new york not already picked clean after a decade?
    [Need something to waste time on? Click here to visit my YouTube channel CelGenStudios]
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [No time for videos? Click here to visit my Twitter feed @CelGenStudios]

= Excellent space heater

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    ie. trespassing

Haha, there's entire public forums dedicated to urbex, police won't waste their time on little stuff like this. Thanks for your concern, though!

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonh22 View Post
    Haha, there's entire public forums dedicated to urbex, police won't waste their time on little stuff like this. Thanks for your concern, though!
    There is probably even more stuff in storage that is even older!

Blog Entries

Things tend to go to hell when the elements get into buildings (leaky roof, broken windows, broken pipes). I assume somebody is keeping tabs on the place incase it is needed again.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I'd imagine someone still owns the property, must be some kind of security/surveillance there given the place hasn't been completely trashed and literally everything (including the copper wiring and pipes) stolen.

Probably a lost cause but if I were you, I'd try to contact the property owner to see if I could have some of those computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    ie. trespassing

Way OT, but ISTR that Pratchett had a ruler of Ankh Morpork (can't remember if Vetinari or not) decree that the Explorers Society should be renamed the Guild of Trespassers, on the basis that everything was somebody's. Something like that, anyway.

I suspect someone is thinking they can restart that school, with a piles of obsolete computers. Even the monitors that would be desired by many of us collectors are such bad ewaste that they'd have to pay to be hauled off.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by TH2002 View Post
    I'd imagine someone still owns the property, must be some kind of security/surveillance there given the place hasn't been completely trashed and literally everything (including the copper wiring and pipes) stolen.

Probably a lost cause but if I were you, I'd try to contact the property owner to see if I could have some of those computers.
    Surprisingly there's no sort of security system in place at the school whatsoever. It's located in a very rural area so that's probably a large contributing factor.