Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tons of IBM Computers rotting away at an Abandoned School

First, I wouldn't even consider taking anything from an "abandoned" building. Someone still owns that even if they aren't around. Second, those aren't old enough to be of interest to me. I can't speak for anyone else but I have no interest in collecting anything newer than a 486.
    Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

Blog Entries

Call the local school district and see if they're interested in a salvage operation. Do things the right way. Someone owns that building and its contents, regardless of whether or not they care.

Quote Originally Posted by Exceter View Post
    First, I wouldn't even consider taking anything from an "abandoned" building. Someone still owns that even if they aren't around. Second, those aren't old enough to be of interest to me. I can't speak for anyone else but I have no interest in collecting anything newer than a 486.
    Don't worry I don't plan on taking any

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonh22 View Post
    Surprisingly there's no sort of security system in place at the school whatsoever. It's located in a very rural area so that's probably a large contributing factor.
    Definitely a contributing factor, also looks like the property owner performs at least some maintenance or has just gotten extremely lucky. Many abandoned buildings in rural areas still end up being completely trashed. All it takes is for word to get out about the place and the vandals will rush over there (I'm guessing that's why you didn't reveal the exact location).

Like I said before: May be a lost cause, but it never hurts to try. Someone obviously owns the place so see if you can get ahold of the property owner. I doubt they'd want any of those old computers. I myself am far away from upstate NY but there are many people (myself included) that would love to have some of those systems.
    Last edited by TH2002; March 10th, 2020 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Minor corrections.

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    I suspect someone is thinking they can restart that school, with a piles of obsolete computers. Even the monitors that would be desired by many of us collectors are such bad ewaste that they'd have to pay to be hauled off.
    Dwight
    In NJ here monitors are taken for free. You just have call them to let them know. But I remember foolishly putting out 2 IBM Trinitron 6019s and they were gone before I turned my head. I think it was someone in the neighborhood. Those things were once my pride and joy. Recently there was a new 25" variant. I placed a bid of about 275$, someone shot me down. I didn't have the stomach to bid any higher. I'll never find another one, certainly not new.

Blog Entries

It has taken a while, but people are looking at CRT monitors with interest again (mostly for the very top end PC models and the old ones for cga/ega, 8/16 bit systems plus video editing ones).

Personally I love the 386/486 era machines but I collect up to the present day obsolete systems for various reasons (just not the same extent).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I can't believe were even talking about this B&E and trespassing..
    Never Bin or sell your old computer's you will regret it!!
    Vic 20 x3,C64 x2,128D,C128 flat deck,A1000 x2,A500 x3,A2000,A600,A1200,Apple ][e,2x Apple][ GS rom 01,03,Apple ][c x4 with only 1 PSU,2x Laser 128EX EX2,Atari 600XL,2x 800XL,130XE w/320 mod With a MyIDE plus,Atari 1040stf w/2.5meg..

Ah, the endless struggle between the desire to see this hardware go somewhere and the desire to adhere to the "Leave no trace" Urbex best practice...
    General Failure Reading Drive C -
    Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisUnionNJ View Post
    I can't believe were even talking about this B&E and trespassing..
    Not a B&E! Door was wide open. I can't refute the trespassing though lol

Different place have different rules as to what is trespassing. If the door was open and you were not loitering, you are not trespassing in many states. Of course in Texas they can still shoot you and then kick in the door.
    Dwight