Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Archiving 1.44mb Floppy

Blog Entries

Sometimes (and I speak from experience) "sector not found" errors are due to the IDAM not being found or in error, with the data remaining in fine condition. So program your recovery utility to handle that case also--just scan for the DAM and infer the IDAM data.

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    Central Point PC Tools Deluxe has a "Revitalise a disk(ette)" facility that does a pretty good job reading (with error correction off) multiple times, comparing the sector copies and re-writing multiple times to "recover" iffy sectors.
    Isn't that actually diskfix.exe?

FWIW, Norton Disk Doctor performs roughly the same tasks.
    Last edited by Stone; March 16th, 2020 at 01:11 PM.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Isn't that actually diskfix.exe?

FWIW, Norton Disk Doctor performs roughly the same tasks.
    I couldn't honestly say, quite possibly. I'm not that well up on DOS-era utilities, just my own experience. I never used NU, only PC Tools, back then.

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    I couldn't honestly say, quite possibly. I'm not that well up on DOS-era utilities, just my own experience. I never used NU, only PC Tools, back then.
    Diskfix.exe is the PCTools utility you referred to as "Revitalise a disk(ette)".
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Diskfix.exe is the PCTools utility you referred to as "Revitalise a disk(ette)".
    I was up to v9 at the end, so I was referring to the Windows interface menu item.