Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Blog Entries

The problem dollar stores will be having is all their inventory comes from China and with the shutdown there nobody is making stuff.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
    You must be a union worker

Every dollar store seems to be fully stocked, just get the scratchy stuff,
    Itís not like the zombie apocalypse is coming, we have 5 years of corn stores, needless to say even if everyone buys up stuff needlessly you wonít starve and will have plenty of water.
    Err, what ?

Must be a USA thing.

I wiped with my Chinese TP stockpiles.

Now I have the Butt Flu. The next apocalypse is upon us already! D:

For real though, neighboring city of Moorefield is barren of TP. But there is plenty at the dollar store in town here (pop. 300). I ought to buy a pickup load and take it to the city and try to sell it for $5/roll. But I guess that wouldn't be very neighborly. :3
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    Don't do this here.
    Itís in reference to only #2 at work,

old joke badly received, sorry.

As to The stockpiling and hording reaction, itís confusing what anyone hopes to accomplish ,
    local SAMs had TP but no yogurt , if I run out it will be an inconvenience but not the end of the world.
    The alcohol aisle was fully stocked as were the donuts and junk food.

I just buy what I need when I want eventually the paranoias will reduce and the desire to build TP forts will end.

I was surprised by the sheer volume of clearance at the stores despite the hoarding
    Group 24 batteries are marked down to $39.99, good time to replace my car batteries

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

I was thinking compressed air may work in a pinch. We used to blow all the swarf away like that in the machine shop. Stuff would fly all over. So ... soft semi-liquid matter ... sound like a good idea?

All of you and me too have had those uber clean dumps with little or no residue. It must be an art form. One most of us haven't mastered unfortunately.

China is down to about 20 new cases a day. It will take them about a month to widdle there current cases down form 10K down to almost 0. They will soon be back in full business. One can't say the same for Europe. They have already missed the window of opportunity and I'm afraid the USA has as well.
    Dwight

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    They have already missed the window of opportunity and I'm afraid the USA has as well.
    Last week I would have agreed. But this week things went from level 10 out of 10 to 100. General public activity has noticeably dropped everywhere here in Atlanta and, from what I've read, it's even lower elsewhere. General reduction of human to human contact is how China and South Korea are managing the problem. I'm hopeful things will improve here if awareness spreads faster than the virus.
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

@ Dwight. I don't understand that part. We have been told China waited 1 -1.5 months before they took any action.

Whatever. I'm hoping, praying and even sort of expecting in 1 month this will be all over. I can't see why not. But whay do I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    China is down to about 20 new cases a day. It will take them about a month to widdle there current cases down form 10K down to almost 0. They will soon be back in full business.
    Hmmmm... draconian measures... what can you say?
    PM me if you're looking for 3Ĺ" or 5ľ" floppy disks. EMail ď Ē For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    @ Dwight. I don't understand that part. We have been told China waited 1 -1.5 months before they took any action.

Whatever. I'm hoping, praying and even sort of expecting in 1 month this will be all over. I can't see why not. But whay do I know.
    They completely isolated anyone that had it. Completely, including anyone who might have it. There was no such thing as voluntary isolation. They are at the point now that there are more new cases entering the country than getting it there. As of the last numbers I saw, Italy has about 6.22 times more sick per capita than China ever did. There is a saying. "Hoping" is a poor strategy.
    We just closed our schools and restricted large gathering. I'm guessing about a week too late. People don't seem to understand exponential growth. It is said that this stuff has an R factor of 2 to 3 someplace. That may seem like a small number but isn't. New cases hide for 5 to 13 days. Unlike the flu, that many may have had the flu in the past and somewhat resistant to, even new variants, this one is completely new and we are like sitting ducks in a small pond. It has been running long enough now that there will likely be mutations soon. These may not be as friendly to those under 40 years old.
    Dwight