Image Map Image Map
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Not to worry... do like the French do... put the tabloids to good use.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/05/world...ntl/index.html

"history offers many other options for you in your time of need if you cannot find a roll of your favorite soft, ultra plush two-ply citrus scented tissue,"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/us/ne...rnd/index.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Not to worry... do like the French do... put the tabloids to good use.
    Don't have them in the house !

Anyway to everyone, hoping you and your's are well and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Kossow View Post
    It's all fun and games until they lock 6.7 million people down until Apr 7
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/local-po...y-15135014.php

with less than 24 hours notice.
    I think there are pretty significant Constitutionality questions underlying the legality of this..........

Also, I read something this morning that some Australian researchers have discovered that an existing antiviral medication (meant for treating HIV) kills the coronavirus. If this is true, it could shortcut all the time spent waiting for FDA approval, and get things back to normal. Assuming we can figure out how to produce enough of it.

That being said, I still kinda feel like this is all largely FUD.
    Last edited by bladamson; March 17th, 2020 at 02:27 PM.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Find a vaccine. Discuss constitutional issues. I'm for all of that.

But in the interim, control the borders. Put someone in charge of monitoring health related issues in other countries (particularly frequently trafficked countries (we can all name 1 today that stands out, I can think of a few others). Impose quarrantines when appropriate. If they squeal, stick a cork in them (?). Don't say something like this couldn't be avoided. Do the obviously correct thing. It doesn't matter what Italy, Iran, Germany" ... is doing. The gov't has the responsibility to protect IT'S OWN citizens. And we can set an example for the rest of tje world (if they care).

Now more then ever intelligence agencies need to know what's going on around the world. How do we stand a chance of preventing a determine biological terrorist attack if we couldn't stop this??? They dropped the ball on this one.

And despite the fact that there are some over reactions, you have to acknowledge *how* people and idiot politicians are going to react in anticipation.

Blog Entries

On the plus side of all of this. I suppose I've finally arrived at that "senior citizen" way marker that I've been denying to myself that it ever existed. This afternoon my neighbor from across the street knocked on my front door and said "stay inside and if you need anything I'll get it for you". I still don't know how to react to that.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by bladamson View Post
    I think there are pretty significant Constitutionality questions underlying the legality of this

That being said, I still kinda feel like this is all largely FUD.
    The trouble is if you go draconian you need to go the rest of the way starting at the top

Mortgages need to be frozen and illegal to collect
    Taxes need to be frozen
    Rent needs to be frozen

Do that and the blowup of society slows during the lockdown

Quote Originally Posted by bladamson View Post
    I think there are pretty significant Constitutionality questions underlying the legality of this..........
    Indeed. The biggest problem is marshal law wasn't declared by the only two people that could have declare it - the President and the Governor (in this case). Counties are not empowered with any authority to restrain the free movement of citizens. I suppose marshal law in this case, if declared, could also be challenged on constitutional grounds. But there is precedent for it - in this area: it was declared in 1908 after the great SF earthquake.

And constitutionality of things really doesn't matter much if the vast majority of people support it. Just look at the Patriot Act.

The Constitution does allow (A1 S9) for it in "...cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it." This is in the interest of public safety, but are we being "invaded" by COVID-19?
    "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

There hasn't been an earthquake. Looting used to be a big problem in former years, not so much today. Nothing about this requires martial law. Please. People are taking.precautions, not everyone, but the beat has to go on.

Remember a few ounces of preventions sure beats metric tons of cure (assuming there ever even is a cure). The gov't has to protect it's citizens. And for the rubes and politicians/prostitutes who wants non-citizens to vote in our elections, well I just hope the sane people finally see what all that mess is about.

Yesterday you said this was "far, far less deadly than the common flu." The mandatory quarantines ("If they squeal, stick a cork in them") you just called for would require martial law.

Last week you thought this was no big deal and it was all contained. Now you think the government dropped the ball and nobody is in charge. But somehow you have all the solutions

The way in which the gov't dropped the ball was by *allowing* it into the country to begin with. At some point someone knew there was a virus that originated in Wuhan. So ... if someone is visiting family in ... Wuhan ... impose mandatory quarrantine on *that* person. Don't wait until there's an outbreak and the whole country is inconvenienced, forced into bankruptcy, or dies as a result. I wouldn't support martial law for this case anymore then I would for America's youth downing tablespoons of cinnamon.

And clearly the flu, which we can't seem to eliminate, has killed millions of people since it's inception. And it's back every year. Time will tell if covid-19 will be a part of life from now on, I guess that's actually a reality. And I'm still guessing this could ultimately be brought under control. The gov't does have the right, make that responsibility, to monitor what this virus will do amongst those that are already infected come next winter. They should take whatever steps necessary to contain it. It has not, imho, reached proportions that warrant curfews or martial law. Nor will it for some time.

And it's now clear the U$, probably more then other countries, needs to keep a tighter lock on it's borders.