Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I didn't have the cash yesterday but I was able to buy everything I wanted on margin.
    Beware of the margin calls of March! Or was that Ides - I get cunfuzed.
    Last edited by Agent Orange; March 13th, 2020 at 02:53 PM.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Well, I was kinda holding out for the zombie apocalypse, or maybe global thermonuclear armageddon. But I guess this will do. :3

If I do croak I want my old computer junk to go to a good home, though. Maybe I ought to will it to the VCF.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Blog Entries

Watching all the buzz on the networks these last few days it seems like they're leaving out one important piece of info when they report so-and-so contacted the bug. At least locally here, we never hear of of the affected person's most recent contacts and/or precisely where they've been.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    Italy has completely missed the message. They are only about 1 week late on taking measures to deal with the problem. Here we are seeing that they are worried about closing schools. The problems are many. A lot of kids get free lunch on sate programs. Many of the families have both parents working. If they wait until the first cases show up, many parents will be forced to send their kids to the grand parents. A small percentage of them will have the virus, killing their grand parents.
    I guess we should be making jokes about Italian restaurants now. Comparing it to the flu is being like keeping ones head in the sand.
    Well, not exactly: here in Italy almost -everyone- started to stay home before the government declared the current "lockdown" state. I can confirm that all the families here have both parents working, tho. At the moment we are trying to protect our older people at our best, and we are managing it even if the situation is hard.
    People are behaving correctly and you cannot find people walking around in the streets. Anyway, we still have to go out only for the supermarket because online services are flooded by requests. We had a minority of people thinking that this was a simple flu, but I guess that they changed their minds.

Italian restaurants will come back stronger than ever

Blog Entries

I went for a routine grocery shop today.. wow.. that was an eye opener. Just watching shelf after shelf being emptied. Mr. Noodle is now as rare as moon rocks. A soon to be very unpopular fellow and his wife have been featured in a news story buying *all* of the disinfectant wipes at every Costco and selling them for profit on a website. He's made $100k so far.

It's a good reminder of just how fragile our way of life, and abundance is, and how quickly and easily it could all come apart. Especially in our age of 'me first'. God help us if the Russians or Chinese ever get the stones to try an EMP attack.

The first case of a Covid-9 infection in Jacksonville was announced today. Another was announced in a neighboring county. Turns out both of them had recently been on a cruise.
    I went to the grocery store after work to get enough food for backup in case there is a mandatory quarantine. Anything that is a disinfectant is sold out. Paper product shelves are all empty. No bottles of Clorox bleach left. No hand sanitizer or anti bacterial soap.
    I suspect the food supplies may be slim by the end of this weekend.
    Also, an e:mail was sent out at work today for all salaried employees to take their company laptops home with them every night. Obviously so if a quarantine is issued they can work from home.

Blog Entries

If you need a Chlorox substitute, drop by your local big box store and buy some swimming pool chlorine shock granules (hypo-cal) and dissolve in warm water. I used to use the stuff to clean mildew from the decks and siding.
    Last edited by Chuck(G); March 13th, 2020 at 07:08 PM.

Blog Entries

I stopped at two different grocery stores. One was packed with shelves being stripped bare while the other had a normal activity level and shelves at the typical storage level.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    If you need a Chlorox substitute, drop by your local big box store and buy some swimming pool chlorine shock granules (hypo-cal) and dissolve in warm water. I used to use the stuff to clean mildew from the decks and siding.
    Good info. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    A soon to be very unpopular fellow and his wife have been featured in a news story buying *all* of the disinfectant wipes at every Costco and selling them for profit on a website. He's made $100k so far.
    Right... you should know better than to parrot crap like that. Just the logistics of that claim are enough to disprove it.

OTOH, you can give us the website or news story so we can see for ourselves. Otherwise, unfounded rumors like this can be considered nearly as dangerous as the virus itself.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step