Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Blog Entries

Default Covid-19

After 2 months I finished my last therapy workout for my bad lumbars this afternoon, and was called by my wife to stop and do a little shopping on the way home from the gym. So, my first stop was at Costco for some TP, paper towels, and few other odds and ends. There were no paper products to be had - simply amazing. The stockman said possibly a trailer load was might be in this evening. My next stop was at a major supermarket and they had just set out a few pallets of paper towels in the aisleway, but no TP - the shelves were bare. I was able to score the last 3 boxes of Coricidin HBP Max Flu and the last bottle of DayQuil. Our local stores have the look of going out of business - the shelves look like they've been gleaned by locusts.

What's happening in your part of the country?
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

Blog Entries

Stores are busier and shops have quotas on TP (2 per buyer). Lots of people buying pasta and instant noodles (Walmart was about empty of Raman as I walked by).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Not as crazy, and surprising given how paranoid nj people are. There actually were a total of 5 generic packs of tp at dollar general, and a goodly amt of paper towels. I bought 1 pack of tp. Because .... dah dah dah dah ... I'm out.

Hey Orange, what do navy people do when they're out of tp. My dad was an old navy/mm guy. A real soasc. And blatantly a real son of a bioccha, as his mother abandoned the family was 6. I have a story from when I was very very young, not sure if I made it up (you know how kid's brains are). So I'll hold off on telling it. I'm sure everyone is dying to hear.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    . . . what do navy people do when they're out of tp?
    It's been a while since I shipped, but I think they might be into that bidet thing? Or, maybe they're using both sides these days.

Blog Entries

I went to a different grocery store than my usual route. Barren shelves for frozen everything and sugar which was a bit odd to me. I can expect the shortage of TP since the sheer bulk limits the amount that can be on shelves and if people expect a quarantine period, buying a little early creates a demand spike.

Not sure why you say TP instead of toilet paper. There's been a run on the stuff for the last month. Fortunately I found some in an out-of-the-way shop in a country town.

There's no paper products of any kind to be had in the supermarkets. Also, no liquid hand-cleaning products. Various other random items are completely cleaned out as well.

The supermarket recently put up a notice limiting toilet paper to one per customer (not that it made any difference), and refusing refunds for these products if you changed your mind about hoarding.

On a different note, cancellation of various conferences and sports are increasing rapidly. The Australian Grand Prix was cancelled, as was the E3 gaming conference, and of course the U.S. basketball (NBA).

Sometimes (most times?) I think that I am stupid for kinda being a crazy survivalist type.

Then people start buying up all the TP and dust masks and I am able to lul to myself and relax.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robbbert View Post
    Not sure why you say TP instead of toilet paper.
    Eh, I suppose for the same reason people say FBI instead of Federal Bureau of Investigation?

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

It probably registers as Turbo Pascal.

I remember, back in high school.... We had a modest lab of PS/2 Model 25s. Floppy drive only.

My first computer programming class, the instructor spends the first class ranting about how piracy is bad, and how UCSD Pascal is the One True Pascal.

Next class he hands out............

Pirated copies of Turbo Pascal.
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX