Image Map Image Map
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by tipc View Post
    I think Terry needs to make us new videos to pass the time. Maybe show us what he's been selling off, and more imporyantly, why!!!
    Hahaha. Off-topic but I'll reply anyway. I've only sold 70 items. Only five were from the official collection. One reason. I needed room in my computer shack. Room to lay things out, room for more than one person, room to photograph things or even make movies. I now have that room. I'm KICKING myself that I didn't take a "before" photo though so people could see the difference. Now that I have working space, I'm actually starting to enjoy the hobby again!

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Only 70 items ...

I once had around 100 item or so I think. I need to trim down some also, as I'm contemplating a move. Too much.

Let all kicking cease and desist! We forgive you Terry. All is well. And glad to see NZ is effectively containing the bat s*** flu.

I was going to let it go, but what I find terribly misleading is your post above that uses quotes around "it's only old people", as if someone actually said that. Why else does someone put something is quotes??? That's extremely misleading on your part. I don't remember anyone saying anything remotely close to that.
    Oh yep, definitely my bad. What you said in post #162:

I had thought I read just yesterday that all those that had died in Italy were over 60
    isn’t even remotely like someone saying “it’s only old people”.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

And glad to see NZ is effectively containing the bat s*** flu.
    Yea, I think we are lucky we are far away from the rest of the world. It's given NZ a chance to see what does and doesn't work in other countries. Certainly the approach here is to take it very very seriously from the get go, before any community transmission hence taking the approach of Singapore and Taiwan. There has been no community transmission confirmed yet, but we are being asked to work at home if possible. All indoor groupings of 100 have been banned, outdoor activities cancelled, museums and libraries shutting. That's highly likely to extend to Universities soon. Borders shut. At the first sign of community transmission, more personal restrictions will pile on and we are all asking to prepare for it. The Govt providing money to small businesses so they can keep on as much staff as possible. They have just bailed out national airline which has had to reduce International flights by 80%. Possibly more now.

Hopefully we can keep ahead of the curve. The idea is to socially isolate, contain and test as much as we can so as to "flatten the curve" so not to flood the health system with cases.

Tonight I would normally be rehearsing for a musical, scheduled to go on stage mid-April. Also, I belong to a singing group that sings at rest homes. All have been cancelled. Lots of time now for vintage computing!

Keep well guys!

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Oh yep, definitely my bad. What you said in post #162:

isn’t even remotely like someone saying “it’s only old people”.
    I read something to that effect. Clearly I was claiming to have read something regarding the deaths in Italy. If it's not correct, or even if I was mistaken, that's far and away an entirely different thing then saying "it's only old people" that are dying, if as to say that I was stating it's not a genuine concern or something to that effect.

I called it right, didn't I?!!! You were attempting to ascribe to me specifically a phrase I never used. You seem to have a penchant for that sort of thing. I've seen it in an entirely different unrelated play. God help us when people continually do that sort of thing. It's like a malady that's way too prevalent these days. If you ever find yourself out of work, just get a job peddling fake news. You should do real well.

Whatever.

Strictly speaking I did *not* have you in mind particularly when I made that statement... or at least certainly not exclusively. “But it’s only XxXxX” (old people/foreigners/millennial avocado-toast eating crybabies/whatever, that need to worry about this) is a class of red herrings that’s being thrown out by a vast spectrum of ill-informed people as excuses for clinging to the “none of this is real, it’s just a media conspiracy to discredit the Fearless Leader” narrative that was saturating certain news channels until just barely over a week ago. (And is still lingering with remarkable tenacity, albeit now in a weakened, confused state of cognitive dissonance now that the script has flipped.) I’m seeing it plenty of places besides here, believe me.

It’s interesting you accuse me of committing the sin of “Fake News” when you yourself now admit your comment was ill-informed and in fact outright wrong but, yeah, whatever, you’re definitely not one of those other people. You just keep on being you.
    Last edited by Eudimorphodon; March 20th, 2020 at 12:52 AM.

I stated I found it misleading as if you were quoting someone specifically. I never even said you were quoting me, take notice.

Then you specifically repost things that I said!!! And simply stating, a paraphrase, I thought I read that all those who died in Italy were ober 60, is in no way remotely like you're careless statement, that was posted within quotes, and was clearly directed at me!

And yes I will continue being me. Someone who has the balls to apologize if I, if I ever, put something in quotes ascribing it to someone specifically - NOT, instead of further adding insult to injury like the little **** you are.

Hey, man, you’re the one who self-identified with what was specifically intended as a broad paraphrasing. (Which is also a valid use of quotation marks.) I don’t think anyone was really making this about you until you did.

You already took the credit for ascribing your quoted phrase to me. I didn't "self identify", notice an actual direct quote, with anybody or anything. You really should see a therapist, you're clearly suffering from a type of delusional psychosis, quoting things that were never said amongst other fantastical notions. Maybe write fiction. You have quite an imagination.

... putting this in another reply to avoid temporal edit stupidity:

If you want an apology, fine, you have it. It was unnecessary and inflammatory for me to specifically quote you in response to you randomly calling me out. For the record I still categorically deny the allegation that I was trying to plant a fake quote; the quotation marks around that paraphrasing were “air quotes” to separate the generalized idea/attitude/argument I was attempting to refute from the surrounding text. Clearly you misunderstood that, so it was probably a mistake to highlight your factually wrong “I read it in the news” statement as an example of the class of things the original paraphrasing was meant to encompass, I should have simply clarified the intent of the original wording.

In my defense I was genuinely unclear on why you thought this worth bringing up now and initially interpreted as an attack on my having responded (semi-indirectly) to you in the first place. I should have read more carefully before replying; perhaps I would have realized there was a more diplomatic way to respond. I’m still fuzzy on why you would have brought it up unless you’re really upset that people might make the double mistake of not only misidentifying my paraphrase as a quote but ALSO directly attributing it to you because of what you did say, mistakenly I guess. To that I can only say I guess we should ALL be more careful about what we say.
    Last edited by Eudimorphodon; March 20th, 2020 at 01:46 AM.