Image Map Image Map

Thread: Poor terminal

Blog Entries

Default Poor terminal

Ship with Fed Ex and get a free puzzle!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1o8y...w?usp=drivesdk

I cleaned out my myus box today and requested the extra padding. The first two boxes were incredible. They packed the Mindset keyboard I bought perfectly. They packed a Tandy 1000SX like it was recovered dinnerware from the Titanic. But for some reason the careful treatment stopped at the 1974 non-microprocessor terminal I bought, and FedEx tossed it like a Caesar Salad.

So far it looks like the actual terminal parts are fine. The damage seems to be confined to the casing, which is made out of weird, almost foam like (urethane?) stuff. It has the consistency of a Crunchie bar. I wonder if it is similar to what they used on the ventless Apple II.

Anyway.. I'll get to work.. I grabbed all the pieces from.the box and have begun gluing it back together as much as I can. Might try to fill gaps with bondo or such. Oh well. Least the Tandy wasn't harmed. Somebody knew to give that respect.

Blog Entries

Sounds like structural foam. Always painted, so it won't yellow. Use something like Gorilla polyurethane glue to stick it back to together--the glue foams a bit as it dries, so you'll have to sand it smooth, but the small gaps will be filled. Large gaps can be filled with high-density foam spray insulation. Add a new paint job and nobody will be the wiser.

We used to staple things to structural foam cases--it's that soft.

The case of my LeCroy 3500 is made out of the same stuff. Has a couple of cracks that I need to glue, but in pretty fair shape otherwise, considering. I wouldn't want to ship it, though. Some machines are such that they can't be shipped as parcels, no matter how well you pack them. The cases just become too brittle, relative to the mass of the machine.

I may have the remnants of busted up cases from a couple of donor systems, if you need some material to cut replacement pieces from. I'll check the scrap pile outside my shop, when I get a chance.

Blog Entries

I remember when we were shopping around for case materials that we ran across the outfit that made the structural foam cases. To demonstrate, the owner grabbed a paper cup and filled it about quarter full with some liquid. We went to look at samples, but before we left, he handed me the paper cup, which by now was the color of a root beer float and looked the part, complete with foam.

The advantage of structural foam is that you can use cheap materials for the molds--no need to machine a set of high-pressure molds from steel. Aluminum works fine, as the process is very low pressure.

Exempli gratia