Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TRS-80 Model III potentiometer replacement

Default TRS-80 Model III potentiometer replacement

Brightness and contrast pots are frozen: Tried DeOxIt, WD-40, electronics cleaner and pliers without success; time for replacements. I can find references in the schematics to resistance values (500 Ohm contrast, 500K Ohm brightness) but nowhere a wattage. What is a reasonable value? 1/4W, 1/2W, 1W?

Thanks,

-CH-

I hope someone comes along with the answer for you/us. I will say I took mine out of the bracket and pried the tabs back to open it up. Once it was open I was able to scotchbrite the wipers and used a little dielectric grease on them before putting it back together and re-bending the tabs. It’s worked so far.

I was tempted to try more aggressive methods but my old pal Murphy suggested I wait until I located a replacement.

I tried looking up the part by the number stamped on back but didn't get any hits. I don't think it will matter if I opt for higher rating as long as the resistance and form-factors match. The 1/4-inch D-profile shaft is perhaps going to be tricky to find. I may have to modify a rounder / longer one.

But I'll report back when I find something that works.

Thanks for your reply.

-CH-

Go to archive.org and search for "sams model iii" - the Sams Computerfacts manual for the Model III should list the pot values.

g.
    Proud owner of 80-0007
    http://www.f15sim.com - The only one of its kind.

Quote Originally Posted by geneb View Post
    Go to archive.org and search for "sams model iii" - the Sams Computerfacts manual for the Model III should list the pot values.

g.
    Just wanted to say thanks for this, not needing to fix anything myself right now, but I didn't know this book existed and it looks great. I see there's a Model 4 GA version as well which is awesome (plus a tandy 1000sx which I can use too).
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by geneb View Post

g.
    Thanks. Here it is (1/2 Watt):

PotSpecs.jpg

-CH-

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TXNathan View Post
    I hope someone comes along with the answer for you/us. I will say I took mine out of the bracket and pried the tabs back to open it up. Once it was open I was able to scotchbrite the wipers and used a little dielectric grease on them before putting it back together and re-bending the tabs. It’s worked so far.
    +1 to this, you've nothing to lose.

The benefit is you don't have to do any rewiring, nor wait for new parts.

I recovered my model 3 this way.

Let us know if these work. I have two model IIIs that might need them some day. One benefit of working in Mansfield TX is their will call.

Seems to me unless the image is wrong, that the shaft will be way short for this application,
    I normally take long shafts and cut them to size, but so let us know they work out.
    I buy mine from a local Electronic Store (yeah an old fashion one) so I can compare length of shaft to make sure.
    Gaming: i7-8700K, 16GB, 1TB SSD, RTX 2060, Dual 27" LG IPS Monitors.
    Vintage: TRS-80 MODEL 4, 128K RAM, 360K FDD, Gotek USB FDD, FreHD HDD, RS232-WIFI MODEM, DWP-510.
    Programmer: Dell Inspiron 660S i3-3220 with 16GB Ram, running a BK-844USB & EP-2A-88.
    Web Site: https://texastandyrestoration.com/
    Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TexasTandyRestorations/