Image Map Image Map

Thread: IBM 5170 AT & VGA Card

Default IBM 5170 AT & VGA Card

Hello

I just recently acquired an IBM 5170, as I don't have an EGA monitor I acquired a VGA Card (It is a Trident TVGA8800CS, See attached photo). I've installed the card into a 16-bit ISA Slot and used https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphic...GA-16-BIT.html to set J1 to pins 2&3 closed, J2 1&2 closed, switches 1 - 5 on and #6 off.

The AT powers on, floppy drive initializes but nothing shows on screen. I tried it on the 8-bit slot as well (switching the J2). I'm trying to figure out if this card isn't compatible, if there is something that I'm missing or if there is something I need to set on the board (I tried the switch that changes from EGA / CGA without any effect). If this one doesn't work, can someone point me to a compatible VGA card?

Thank you in advance!

IMG_20200316_203145.jpg

Welcome to these forums.

It seems unlikey to me that a manufacturer would produce a 16-bit ISA VGA card that does not work in an IBM AT.

Be aware that the TH99 database that you pointed to, is known to be sometimes wrong, and sometimes incomplete. You may need to experiment with the card's switches.

Just in case, note the information at [here].

Is this a known working card (i.e. you have proven that it works in another machine) ?

I had a similar issue a couple of days ago with a Type 3 board, at least with the original BIOS chips. I was not able to get Mach64 VRAM, Mach32 VRAM, CL GD5434 or S3 805i to display a picture at all. However, ATi VGA Wonder Basic 16 and PS/2 Display Adapter worked just fine. I will need to test again with 3rd party BIOS, because right now it is not clear to me if it's a limitation of the IBM BIOS or if the VGA BIOSes on my cards require 386 instructions.
    "Will the Highways on the internets become more few?"

V'Ger XT

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward View Post
    ATi VGA Wonder Basic 16 and PS/2 Display Adapter worked just fine.
    I mean you'd expect The IBM card to work :P

funnily enough my AT came with an ATI VGA wonder 16! so i can second that it works :P

haven't tried VGA cards for compatibility in my AT, but 8088 XT class systems can be very hit or miss. if you type in "8088 ISA VGA" into eBay, you get many results from eastern Europe for cheap that "supposedly" are tested to work in XT class machines, so they should work in AT class 286 machines too. I have an Oak VGA card from 1992 that works great in my XT clone.

back on topic of OP's question, I would verify the card works in another system with a 386 or better, if it does then i might suspect the cards bios is too new nd containes 386 instructions... which would be weird, but if it's a cheaper card i could see them not properly validating it back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by pinkdonut666 View Post
    if you type in "8088 ISA VGA" into eBay, you get many results from eastern Europe for cheap that "supposedly" are tested to work in XT class machines...
    There's a thread devoted to this exact topic:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthrea...-ISA-VGA-cards
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step