Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: So are prices for vintage machines going to drop like a rock now?

Blog Entries

Default So are prices for vintage machines going to drop like a rock now?

Just wondering how vintage machine prices are going to go now that many people can't work for months or more. On the one hand you are going to be indoors more and need something to do, but money might be tight.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

I dunno man. The market is doing weird things in general. They keep saying that the market has crashed, but.... I sold cattle on a board sale today, thinking from the Chicago numbers that I'd get like 90 cents or something and lose my shirt, but ended up getting between $1.06 and $1.07. I mean, that's not great, but it's good enough to stay in business. I think maybe we're getting a little too caught up in the hype and panic. I mean, obviously a little common sense is needed, but we've gotta keep it real at the same time. You know? I don't see a huge old-computer-selloff coming, personally, but I've been wrong many times before. :P
    -- Lee
    If you get super-bored, try muh crappy YouTube channel: Old Computer Fun!
    Looking to Buy/Trade For (non-working is fine): TRS-80 Model II,12,16,6000, Mac IIci hard drive sled and one bottom rubber foot, Hercules card + mono monitor (preferably IBM 5151), Multisync VGA CRTs, 040 or 601 card for Mac IIci, Decent NuBus video card, Commodore PC(286+), PC-era Tandy stuff, Aesthetic Old Serial Terminals, Amiga 2000 or 3000UX

Yes, I wondered that myself. For the past month or so I've been doing some "housecleaning" as in selling vintage computer spares, oddities, unwanted accessories and books in our local auction market (Trade Me). It's cleared me a lot of space and made a tidy sum. However, I'm just glad I've now almost finished rather than just beginning! New Zealand's taking a huge economic hit with international tourism (a major earner and employer) coming to a screeching halt. Jobs will go and spending will contract.

On the other hand, what with winter on the way and social isolation being strongly encouraged, what better time to get into those VC projects!

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

I think the more common items will sell for less. The rare stuff will probably still hold their value. Depends on how badly a seller needs the money.

If the whole country is in lock down, you may not be able to get an item shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by tezza View Post
    On the other hand, what with winter on the way and social isolation being strongly encouraged, what better time to get into those VC projects!
    Of course, if the VC project you're hoping to get started on soon relies on ordering PCBs and parts from China, well, who the heck knows at this point what's going to happen.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster_in_Jax View Post
    I think the more common items will sell for less. The rare stuff will probably still hold their value. Depends on how badly a seller needs the money.

If the whole country is in lock down, you may not be able to get an item shipped.
    The mail will always get through. Not sure if non passenger flights are affected (USPS, Fedex, UPS).

With TV and movie production suspended more people might get into the hobby. I have noticed more people playing Age of Empires online this week (multinational players).
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Of course, if the VC project you're hoping to get started on soon relies on ordering PCBs and parts from China, well, who the heck knows at this point what's going to happen.
    The PCBs i ordered from China shipped a few days ago and DHL dropped them off today. So we're still good for now.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    The PCBs i ordered from China shipped a few days ago and DHL dropped them off today. So we're still good for now.
    I guess I need to get dissecting one of these days then.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

I've now got plenty of projects to work on through this whole thing. Though, i still have some parts from China I'm waiting on to arrive, but they should get here soon.

Unfortunately, I work for a hospital and my office is at home, so I've actually got less free time now.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

If people are stuck at home they might get bored and want a vintage/retro computer to tinker with so prices may even go up! Then again, they all might have a clearout and flood the market lowering the prices. Everything is a bit 'fluid' right now and no one knows the answer.
    My personal blog: www.retrocomputing.co.uk