Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So are prices for vintage machines going to drop like a rock now?

Principality of Xeon W-2140B the Great State of Central New Jerky

Quote Originally Posted by FazzaGBR View Post
    If people are stuck at home they might get bored and want a vintage/retro computer to tinker with so prices may even go up! Then again, they all might have a clearout and flood the market lowering the prices. Everything is a bit 'fluid' right now and no one knows the answer.
    You mean we may see at least a temporary halt to artificially jacked up prices? Wouldn't that be something.

I sold loads and loads of goodies in 2011-2012 when things probably couldn't have been rougher. Many people were still working although an uncomfortably small percentage, by comparison, weren't. Back then I had absolutely no worries about selling any of my stuff. But I had and still have an eye for what's hot. If I liked it enough to buy it, chances are there's a few others who will too.

Luckily I have pretty much everything I've really wanted. It was mostly picked up locally cheap (or free) as I figured whenever I got out, it would probably not be worth anything (none of my stuff is rare, as seen from my sig). If it goes up or down it won't really affect me. I actually hope it goes down, because I'd like to see more people being able to get into the hobby to use the machines and less re-sellers/collectors.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    I've now got plenty of projects to work on through this whole thing. Though, i still have some parts from China I'm waiting on to arrive, but they should get here soon.
    I just bit the bullet and ordered a pile of stuff for various skunkworks projects. It'd be nice to hope that this is all winding down before it gets here, but I'm not particularly optimistic on that front.

Somehow I can't imagine this being "good" for the sellers of vintage hardware considering, well, priorities, but anyone who bets on markets behaving in anything like a rational manner in response to external stimuli is bound to lose their shirt so, well, who knows? For pretty much forever my self-imposed limit on actually paying for vintage computer items has been to never spend more than $100 at a time, which has been pretty effective at limiting new acquisitions to lucky happenstance for the last few years. Amusingly enough recently I was sorely tempted by a Tandy 1000A that was listed on eBay with a starting bid of $80 (thought it might be fun to remake my 1000 EX expansion cards for it), but when it didn't sell they relisted it for $150 BIN so... yeah, I have no idea what the thought process there is.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    I just bit the bullet and ordered a pile of stuff for various skunkworks projects. It'd be nice to hope that this is all winding down before it gets here, but I'm not particularly optimistic on that front.
    For pretty much forever my self-imposed limit on actually paying for vintage computer items has been to never spend more than $100 at a time,
    Yeah, that's pretty much the same for me. I've never paid more than $100 for anything. The Tandy 1000SX I have was $100 for the computer/keyboard/joystick and even that I kinda regretted paying that much for (especially considering I still haven't really got to use it due to the whole RGB/CGA requirements that i haven't gotten around to dealing with) - but it did clean up really nice, like new. For the PCB's, most everything I order is from china so it's usually months before I can get around to building something.. and inevitably I miss some part and then have to wait more months. it could be about 6 months before i get something built. I have a CFFA and a Pet SD+ both i've been slowly trying to get built and was finally almost there until I realized a part on each I didn't have (and couldn't easily figure out/find). I'm also planning on building out a Frehd for my Kaypro soon, as I'm trying to get SD solutions for all these systems before the floppies completely die.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

You know a few days ago i was going to say things were business as normal but my online selling views and watchers has dried up and the mailroom I use to ship from said they cant take my packages until matters improve. So .. I dont know. Getting the feeling at least as a seller.. Its a buyers market or no market at all.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    You know a few days ago i was going to say things were business as normal but my online selling views and watchers has dried up and the mailroom I use to ship from said they cant take my packages until matters improve. So .. I dont know. Getting the feeling at least as a seller.. Its a buyers market or no market at all.
    It might be, except I've kinda still been looking on ebay even though I don't really buy much from there anymore (and almost never retro computer stuff)... I do see less 'bidders' but since most things are BIN, and BIN prices are always overpriced on vintage computers, I haven't really seen deals. It also looks like less stuff is getting posted as well. So, less availability and less demand kinda means everything is about the same. It's definitely not a sellers market, but I'm not clear it's a buyers market either.
    -- Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    It might be, except I've kinda still been looking on ebay even though I don't really buy much from there anymore (and almost never retro computer stuff)... I do see less 'bidders' but since most things are BIN, and BIN prices are always overpriced on vintage computers, I haven't really seen deals. It also looks like less stuff is getting posted as well. So, less availability and less demand kinda means everything is about the same. It's definitely not a sellers market, but I'm not clear it's a buyers market either.
    Well I have gotten a few offers from an ad I have up for some good stuff (a 5154 monitor, a vic-20, a trs-80 model 4, a 5170 AT), But I also just lost my job (as of this morning) due to the current state of affairs. So I really shouldn't buy anything.. As no one is hiring right now, and wont for some time to come.. Yeah. Things are not good right now. For me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by VERAULT View Post
    Well I have gotten a few offers from an ad I have up for some good stuff (a 5154 monitor, a vic-20, a trs-80 model 4, a 5170 AT), But I also just lost my job (as of this morning) due to the current state of affairs. So I really shouldn't buy anything.. As no one is hiring right now, and wont for some time to come.. Yeah. Things are not good right now. For me anyway.
    So sorry. Keep strong and keep well.

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by tezza View Post
    So sorry. Keep strong and keep well.

Tez
    Thank you Tez.. About all I can do. I just hope my wifes job remains stable.

Blog Entries

An Altair 8800 just went for $2200.. less than half the usual going rate, if that's any indication (granted, it had some dings). I watch a lot of items on ebay and stuff is still selling, but it seems to be stuff with low price tags.

Personally I've curtailed my buying entirely, and I'm a pretty heavy buyer. After my first couple of experiences with grocery store panic buying, I've decided some things in life are simply more important than vintage computers.

Hopefully life gets back to normal soon, and I hope everyone stays safe. This bug is no joke.

I suppose on the plus side, I've got over 200 machines to keep me busy if we get locked down.