Image Map Image Map
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So are prices for vintage machines going to drop like a rock now?

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Actually, I would like to pick up a old metal hayes modem for a project idea I have.. maybe I can find that cheap now.
    No Hayes here but I've got an old metal Cardinal 2400 modem.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    I don't know about vintage computer stuff, but I fully expect prices on consumer items, groceries, health insurance, and such, to double or even quadruple again in the next few years because of this mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    If you're willing to put some money on that I'll gladly take the bet.

You can even set the pertinent parameters and choose the person to hold the money.
    Ha, ha, very funny Stone. You know that if I won the bet, your money would be worthless

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Ha, ha, very funny Stone. You know that if I won the bet, your money would be worthless
    But if I were to win the bet your money would be... money.
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

Commodity prices are based on future value, not current value, so I expect to not see a drop unless there is a sudden explosion in supply (like oil).

Unless people get so desperate for cash they start selling off their collections en masse, prices should stay about the same. Venezuela endured decade of chaos before the economy completely crashed, and only then did prices on vintage items plummet (there was a 6 month window a couple of years ago you could get crazy deals from eBay Venezuela if you like taking advantage of societal collapse).

With double unemployment benefits and stimulus cash coming in the next two months, at least in the US, I don't expect many people to start selling that much of their stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rpiguy2 View Post
    With double unemployment benefits and stimulus cash coming in the next two months, at least in the US, I don't expect many people to start selling that much of their stuff.
    ...except for me, because I'm out of space and need to get some of this stuff out of my house (especially since I'm trapped in it).
    Offering a bounty for:
    - A working Sanyo MBC-775, Olivetti M24, or Logabax 1600
    - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Quote Originally Posted by rpiguy2 View Post
    Commodity prices are based on future value, not current value, so I expect to not see a drop unless there is a sudden explosion in supply (like oil).
    That glut is over! Oil prices have soared the last two days.

Blog Entries

Prices have been dropping for years.. Supply has steadily ticked up. Look at Apple II prices. Only ones going up are light green slot Rev 0. Everything else is down from several years ago. People with living memory of these machines will get old and pass on, and I don't think there are enough young people to fully replace. I don't know who would spend money on vintage gear when we are inches from a global depression, probably someone with a lot of money... but there can't be too many of those.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    I don't know who would spend money on vintage gear when we are inches from a global depression, probably someone with a lot of money... but there can't be too many of those.
    Maybe not in Canada. But don't kid yourself... luxury cars are selling like hotcakes in the US.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Prices have been dropping for years.. Supply has steadily ticked up. Look at Apple II prices. Only ones going up are light green slot Rev 0. Everything else is down from several years ago. People with living memory of these machines will get old and pass on, and I don't think there are enough young people to fully replace. I don't know who would spend money on vintage gear when we are inches from a global depression, probably someone with a lot of money... but there can't be too many of those.
    Specific brands and models go up and down all the time with respect to supply and demand, but the hobby in general seemed to be getting more expensive in the last few years not cheaper.

You can point out Apple II prices might have peeked a while ago but other things like 3dfx graphics cards seem to have gone up quite a bit. Apple IIgs pricing seems to have been decent lately.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Maybe not in Canada. But don't kid yourself... luxury cars are selling like hotcakes in the US.
    There are plenty of people in Vancouver that seen property values skyrocket over the years and have money for toys.
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems