Image Map Image Map

Thread: Best Shipping Service?

Default Best Shipping Service?

I'm currently looking at buying a PDP-8/S near Toronto and I was curous what other people would use to ship it. I was thinking Fastenal but also l was looking at Fedex. The seller said he would build a 2x4 crate and make sure it was secure so that's all set, it's just a matter of getting that likely 100 lb or so crate over the border and to Massachusetts. Ideally I'd like for it to be able to be delivered to my house so I can just have them drop it in the garage so I don't have to risk exposure to the virus going out to a warehouse or something
    Last edited by RadRacer203; April 4th, 2020 at 12:56 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RadRacer203 View Post
    I'm currently looking at buying a PDP-8/S near Toronto and I was curous what other people would use to ship it. I was thinking Fastenal but also l was looking at Fedex. The seller said he would build a 2x4 crate and make sure it was secure so that's all set, it's just a matter of getting that likely 100 lb or so crate over the border and to Massachusetts. Ideally I'd like for it to be able to be delivered to my house so I can just have them drop it in the garage so I don't have to risk exposure to the virus going out to a warehouse or something
    One option would be to have palletized and ship it common carrier. Find a trucking line broker in the Toronto area and go from there.
    Surely not everyone was Kung-fu fighting

The last time I had something shipped LTL freight on a pallet was through SAIA. To get a ballpark estimate you could go to https://www.saia.com/quotes/ltl and punch in the numbers and see what you get.

I put in some random figures for a TORONTO to SHREWSBURY shipment and got some quotes from around $500 to close to $700. You'll pay a steep premium for liftgate residential delivery vs. picking up from a local freight terminal.

I'm thinking that Fedex might be the best way to go just from looking around and everything. What will I be looking at as far as customs fees if I'm paying around $200-300 for it? Probably going to be in it for double the original price or more, right?