Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So are prices for vintage machines going to drop like a rock now?

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    An Altair 8800 just went for $2200.. less than half the usual going rate, if that's any indication (granted, it had some dings). I watch a lot of items on ebay and stuff is still selling, but it seems to be stuff with low price tags.
    That's in line for a basket case in decent physical condition. I end up buying a lot of parts machines, since I do repair Altairs for other people, and the parts have to come from *somewhere*. We did also just have an Altair 680B Turnkey go for over $2000, which is weird.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    That's in line for a basket case in decent physical condition. I end up buying a lot of parts machines, since I do repair Altairs for other people, and the parts have to come from *somewhere*. We did also just have an Altair 680B Turnkey go for over $2000, which is weird.
    Yeah I saw that Turnkey and was tempted. I have a 680 case and unbuilt 680 motherboard.. if I ever ran across an original front panel I'd probably break my taboo on building original stuff and just build it.

As far as the 8800 goes -- I'd even be happy to have a parts machine. An empty case with lights and switches would suffice. I regret passing on that 8800 case that came up a couple years back for $650ish.

I don't know why I have such a psychological block against spending what it takes to get one. Well, this last one I know why, obviously - Food > Altair. But I keep saying 'too much', even though I spend a lot more than $5k in a year on this stuff and could easily afford it with some discipline in my collecting. I guess it's different when the total is spread out over a year vs all at once. Plus I'm Canadian, so $5k US becomes more like $7500-8000k. That's.. a lot for a machine that will end up on a shelf scarcely used.

Wish you could do layaway on these things. That's about the only way I'm likely ever to end up with one, unless I get rich. But as long as we're facing world-threatening pandemic - there won't be any purchasing at all.

Not to derail the thread, but I believe we've PMed about me selling you one in the not-too-distant past I know shipping and exchange rates definitely work against you though. They're out there, if you're willing to do work on them, they can be had for reasonable money. If you're not willing to work on them, don't buy an Altair. They *can* be made reliable but you either have to pay for quite a bit of shop time, or figure on doing it yourself and chasing problems somewhat frequently til you catch everything. No reason it ought to sit on a shelf; again, I'd say if you're buying one to just put it on a shelf, maybe don't buy one.

No reason it ought to sit on a shelf; again, I'd say if you're buying one to just put it on a shelf, maybe don't buy one.
    Thats the thinking I follow when buying anything. Even if I think it's neat, if i'm never going to use it, I don't buy it (no matter how cheap). Though, my friend did give me a Timex Sinclair 1000 and I knew I'd never use it (I never used the one I got when I was young).. but at least it doesn't take much shelf space.
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Thats the thinking I follow when buying anything. Even if I think it's neat, if i'm never going to use it, I don't buy it (no matter how cheap). Though, my friend did give me a Timex Sinclair 1000 and I knew I'd never use it (I never used the one I got when I was young).. but at least it doesn't take much shelf space.
    Heh, yeah, not saying every single thing needs to be in use 100% of the time, but I do try and do the same with my projects. I often buy things, hack on them for a few months, and then decide to sell them.

Heh, yeah, not saying every single thing needs to be in use 100% of the time, but I do try and do the same with my projects. I often buy things, hack on them for a few months, and then decide to sell them.
    Yeah, the selling things part is the part i never get around to doing.. I have a few things i need to sell just to free up space, but no free time (and ironically less free time right now during all this.. since my full time job is now even busier).
    -- Brian

Systems: Amstad PCW 8256, Apple IIe/II+/GS/Mac+/Mac 512k, Atari 800/520STFM, Commodore 64/128/Amiga 3000/PET 4032/SX-64, IBM PS/1 2121-B82, Kaypro II, Osborne 1, Tandy 1000 SX, TI-99/4A, Timex Sinclair 1000, TRS-80 Color Computer 3/Model 4 GA

Quote Originally Posted by ngtwolf View Post
    Though, my friend did give me a Timex Sinclair 1000 and I knew I'd never use it (I never used the one I got when I was young).. but at least it doesn't take much shelf space.
    If nothing else they're an interesting box to keep a spare Z-80 in, and they make excellent doorstops should you need one.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    If nothing else they're an interesting box to keep a spare Z-80 in, and they make excellent doorstops should you need one.
    Way ahead of you... how do you think I keep my office door open?

door.JPG
    -- Brian

Heh. I wasn't kidding with the first part either; my TRS-80 Model 4P has the Z-80 from either a ZX-81 or a TS1000 in it. (I forget which I stole it from, at one point I had a box of three assorted units, all of which had completely shot keyboard membranes.)
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Heh. I wasn't kidding with the first part either; my TRS-80 Model 4P has the Z-80 from either a ZX-81 or a TS1000 in it. (I forget which I stole it from, at one point I had a box of three assorted units, all of which had completely shot keyboard membranes.)
    Yeah, I would definitely move it to my Model 4 if I had to swap it for whatever reason (though, I assume it's not socketed on the sinclair so maybe not worth the effort).. though I'm not sure it's exactly the same Z-80 thats in the Sinclair 1000.. at least I think my Model 4 has a 2 or 4mhz Z80 or something like that (likely not needed/used though). I wouldn't be opposed to pulling it out, but I think I have a spare Z80 anyway (and they're pretty cheaply obtainable for now anyway).

But, yeah, I haven't bothered testing the Sinclair because I'm not sure I have the power cable so I'd need to make one (trivial), then I'd have to find a tv to hook it up, or mod it to Composite.. all that to use a lousy computer with a lousy keyboard... and I still have no way to run any software (which also would suck because it BW anyway). So yeah, even the minimal effort to get it working is more effort than it's worth. Amusingly, I had one of these as a kid that my parents picked up cheap even back then, and I never used it more than a few hours. At the time I already had a few other computers (like a c64), so it sucked even back then.
    -- Brian