Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5150 640KB memory. All mTCP hang machine.

Quote Originally Posted by fjk61011 View Post
    I'll check that. It did work before. I've installed a Seagate 10 mg drive. Would that lead to a conflict?
    I removed the hard drive card and booted from a floppy. I then ran mTCP from another floppy. Works fine.

So the conflict is between the hard drive card and mtcp. How would I find the settings for the hard drive card?

Standard interrupt for an XT hard drive is IRQ5. What are you using for the network card?
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

To be fair, mTCP doesn't have conflicts with hard drive controllers.

You are probably using an IRQ or I/O address for both your network card and the hard drive controller, and that's a no-no on ISA bus systems unless you can ensure that both devices are not active at the same time.

It's an EtherLink III with the modded Driver 3c509.com

The card interrupt is 10 and I/o address 300h

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    To be fair, mTCP doesn't have conflicts with hard drive controllers.

You are probably using an IRQ or I/O address for both your network card and the hard drive controller, and that's a no-no on ISA bus systems unless you can ensure that both devices are not active at the same time.
    The nic i/o address is 300h and irq 10. Trying to find info on hard drive card. It ha a xebec chip and Seagate 10 meg drive

I'm not quite sure how you are using IRQ 10 on a 5150 ... they only have 0-7 in the hardware, many of which are in use.

Try IRQ 2, 3, 4, or 7 if they are not already in use. (You can share an IRQ if the other device is not going to generate interrupts while you are using the network card. For example, unless you have a serial mouse TSR loaded the serial port IRQs can probably be used.)

Quote Originally Posted by mbbrutman View Post
    I'm not quite sure how you are using IRQ 10 on a 5150 ... they only have 0-7 in the hardware, many of which are in use.

Try IRQ 2, 3, 4, or 7 if they are not already in use. (You can share an IRQ if the other device is not going to generate interrupts while you are using the network card. For example, unless you have a serial mouse TSR loaded the serial port IRQs can probably be used.)
    Yeah I checked the card in my ps/1. So it's that card with irq 10. I'll have to use the 5150 in the ps/1 tomorrow. Any idea of the i/o and irq for the ibm xebec card.

I don't have that particular card, but my vague understanding is that there should be a setup program for it that takes it out of "plug and play" mode and lets you hard-set the I/O and IRQ. (Based on previous threads about that card I think you'll have to run that program on an AT or higher.)

As already noted, IRQ 10 physically doesn't work in an 8-bit slot. Does the driver you're using on the 5150 autodetect the card and spit out what it's set to or are you specifying on the command line? IRQ 5 is almost definitely off-limits in an XT with a real MFM hard drive. IRQ 2 is probably free; this uses the same physical line as IRQ 9 on a 16 bit ISA slot so to use IRQ 2 might require setting it for 9 with the setup program and keeping your fingers crossed that the driver understands 8 bit slots. (I discovered the "plug and play" driver for the RTL8019 has a stupid bug that makes that a problem.) Using IRQ 7, the parallel port IRQ, might be a good option if you have two serial ports.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Quote Originally Posted by fjk61011 View Post
    I'll have to use the 5150 in the ps/1 tomorrow.
    do what now

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    I don't have that particular card, but my vague understanding is that there should be a setup program for it that takes it out of "plug and play" mode and lets you hard-set the I/O and IRQ. (Based on previous threads about that card I think you'll have to run that program on an AT or higher.)

As already noted, IRQ 10 physically doesn't work in an 8-bit slot. Does the driver you're using on the 5150 autodetect the card and spit out what it's set to or are you specifying on the command line? IRQ 5 is almost definitely off-limits in an XT with a real MFM hard drive. IRQ 2 is probably free; this uses the same physical line as IRQ 9 on a 16 bit ISA slot so to use IRQ 2 might require setting it for 9 with the setup program and keeping your fingers crossed that the driver understands 8 bit slots. (I discovered the "plug and play" driver for the RTL8019 has a stupid bug that makes that a problem.) Using IRQ 7, the parallel port IRQ, might be a good option if you have two serial ports.
    My PS/1 is a 486SX. I have the configuration utility which came with the card. It doesn't detect the nic in the 5150 so I'll move the nic to the ps/1 and configure it.