Image Map Image Map

Thread: SyQuest SQ555 SCSI drive on a Mac OS 9.2.2 PDQ PowerBook G3

Default SyQuest SQ555 SCSI drive on a Mac OS 9.2.2 PDQ PowerBook G3

Hello, I've been trying to read some SyQuest 44 MB HFS formatted disks through a SyQuest SQ555 drive.
    I'm connecting it to a PDQ PowerBook G3 with Mac OS 9.2.2.

I've connected it via SCSI through a HDI-30 to DB-25 adapter and a new DB-25 to 50 pin centronics cable. The device is correctly terminated and I selected SCSI ID 4 on it.
    Here are some photos of the setup: https://imgur.com/a/kSKLTTE

The thing is that SCSI Tools from 1987 shows that SCSI id 4 is currently connected, but any other tool only shows up the motherboard on SCSI id 7
    Here are some pics from what the Mac is seeing through various SCSI support softwares: https://imgur.com/gallery/0Z0PE7J

I've installed:
    • SCSIProbe 5.2 -> only shows CPU
    • SyQuest Utilities 4.0.1 -> correctly shows devices on ATA and shows the SCSI bus, but it cannot find any SyQuest drive over it.
    • FWB Hard Disk Toolkit 4.5.2 -> it only shows the internal drives and the CPU on id 7 if I open the SCSI configure panel
    • SCSI Tools 1.0.1 -> shows ID 4 and 7 used, no other info shown.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the SyQuest drivers directly through the web archive of the old SyQuest website, so I ended up installing the SyQuest Utilities found here (https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/syquest-utilities-401) hoping this would be enough to let the Mac detect and mount the drive. But the thing is FWB HDT actually states it supports SQ555 drives, and it's also listed here (https://lowendmac.com/macdan/010511mu.html) as a solution for those who cannot find SyQuest drivers. So don't really understand what's going on.

I've tried any troubleshooting tip in the PowerBook G3 service manual and in "Sad Mac Bombs and Other Disasters" but can't find any solution. Does anyone have any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

wrong forum for this, hope the mods move it, but don't be worried when they do.

i've used both the drive and the computer, and the cable you're talking about, but unfortunately not together. can you test the syquest to work on any other machine? we need to reduce the failure points.

ok i've seen your photos, and if you're trying to jerry-rig that type of thing you really, really need to be posting here more often. i swear to god this is admirable. have you considered SCSI termination?

i hate to ask it because it seems such a first 'get yourself together' aspect, and rather insulting given what you've done, but start from the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by bifo86 View Post

i've used both the drive and the computer, and the cable you're talking about, but unfortunately not together. can you test the syquest to work on any other machine? we need to reduce the failure points.
    Sorry for writing in the wrong place, I didn’t know where else to write. Hope the mods move it then.

ok i've seen your photos, and if you're trying to jerry-rig that type of thing you really, really need to be posting here more often. i swear to god this is admirable. have you considered SCSI termination?

i hate to ask it because it seems such a first 'get yourself together' aspect, and rather insulting given what you've done, but start from the basics.
    Lol, I’d definitely need to post more up here

What do you mean with “have you considered SCSI termination”? It’s actually already terminated with an Apple branded terminator on the second SCSI port (https://i.imgur.com/vuWZSdo_d.jpg).

I don't know where it is now, I posted inside the "newer Macs" genre, I now see it is in the Apple 8-bit computers section... Unfortunately I don't have any other old Mac to support a SCSI device. I had a SCSI to USB adapter for my iMac G3 but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working at all.

LOL, well, definitely this place is interesting, so I'll what I can do
    I have a centronics Apple terminator (you can see it here https://i.imgur.com/vuWZSdo.jpg, the one in the lower plug), it's a passive terminator AFAIK, the drive itself doesn't have the internal terminator (I've just finished reading the SQ555 documentation). I'm really ignorant about SCSI buses, it's actually the first time I use it, so I'm really wondering about term power and other similar things, about which I don't really know anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by giovariot View Post
    LOL, well, definitely this place is interesting, so I'll what I can do
    I have a centronics Apple terminator (you can see it here https://i.imgur.com/vuWZSdo.jpg, the one in the lower plug), it's a passive terminator AFAIK, the drive itself doesn't have the internal terminator (I've just finished reading the SQ555 documentation). I'm really ignorant about SCSI buses, it's actually the first time I use it, so I'm really wondering about term power and other similar things, about which I don't really know anything at all.
    Just remember SCSI is often 10% voodoo, holding your tongue the right way, etc. Things to note.... the Syquest drive may have terminator packs installed on it, expecting to be on the end of the chain, so try it with and without the extenal terminator. You don't mention if the drive spins up, if it doesn't I suspect you have a terminator power issue. There are a whole raft of possible variations on term power but it'll be best if you can coerce the primary HD to supply term power for the entire SCSI bus. Even if this requires popping a diode and or fuse on it to make it happen. Diode will stop other devices that may appear and have term power trying to feed back into the device, and of course a fuse will limit maximum current draw via the HD.

It appears to have the resistor pack removed. I'd also try putting them back in, and remember they are directional, aside from providing termination, they may be part of a terminator power issue.

Good Luck, its usually fiddly but it will work, and you'll find a reliable way to get it done.

A
    Last edited by Anthony Adverse; March 29th, 2020 at 05:43 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Lower Planes BBS Ports 22/23 telnet or SSH
    Pineapple Home of the Hardware Database
    Australian BBS list old style BBS registry listing.