Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing OpenVMS on a VAXstation 4000 VLC

Default Installing OpenVMS on a VAXstation 4000 VLC

Hi there,

I just got a VAXstation 4000 VLC, and I'm having a little trouble installing OpenVMS on it:

Code:
    %SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT Mapping the SYSDUMP.DMP on the System Disk
    %SYSBOOT-W-SYSBOOT Can not map SYSDUMP.DMP on the System Disk
    %SYSBOOT-W-SYSBOOT Can not map PAGEFILE.SYS on the System Disk
       OpenVMS (TM) VAX Version X7G7 Major version id = 1 Minor version id = 0
    %WBM-I-WBMINFO Write Bitmap has successfully completed initialization.
    PLEASE ENTER DATE AND TIME (DD-MMM-YYYY  HH:MM)  23-MAR-2020 12:10

Configuring devices . . .

Available device  DKA0:                            device type SEAGATE ST318418N
    Available device  DKA300:                          device type MATSHITA CD-ROM C
    %BACKUP-I-IDENT, Stand-alone BACKUP T7.2; the date is 23-MAR-2020 12:10:53.36
    $ BACKUP/IMAGE/VERIFY DKA300:VMS073.B/SAVE_SET DKA0:
    %SYSTEM-I-MOUNTVER, SABKUP$DKA300: is offline.  Mount verification in progress.
    It can boot from the external SCSI CD-ROM I have, but when I start the BACKUP command, it seems to think that the CD-ROM is offline. I'm using an AppleCD 300e drive, because that's the only SCSI CD-ROM I had around.

Is it something about this particular drive, or is there some sort of diagnostics I can do? I used VMS (as a user) ages ago, but I was never an "admin" on a VAX before now. I've checked the install manuals and I can't find anything relevant.

It's been a while since I did this on my 4000/60, but there's a couple gotchas when using consumer SCSI CD-ROMs with old workstation hardware. I think the AppleCD 300e is capable of handling CD-R media, at least if I'm recalling correctly and the Apple CD-ROM drive I used for years was a 300e. Probably what you're running up against here, though, is the requirement most old workstations have that the CD-ROM drive present itself as a standard 512-bytes-per-sector device, rather than the oddball ~2K-ish sector size native to the media. I don't recall if the 300e has a jumper you can set for this, but since I ended up having to just buy a newer IBM SCSI CD-ROM drive for the purpose, I'm going to guess probably not. Worth checking, though.
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

Quote Originally Posted by commodorejohn View Post
    I don't recall if the 300e has a jumper you can set for this, but since I ended up having to just buy a newer IBM SCSI CD-ROM drive for the purpose, I'm going to guess probably not. Worth checking, though.
    Okay, thanks! It looks like the 300e doesn't have a jumper for that. I tried my Plextor 12/4/32 SCSI drive also, which does have a "block" jumper but the same error happens with it set or not set, it just happens during the initial device scan when booting off the backup disc instead of when you call BACKUP/IMAGE/VERIFY.

I'll see if I can track down an actual DEC CD-ROM drive from this era, I suppose!

Blog Entries

I have an RRD45 in my 4000/60. This post says it is likely a Toshiba CDROM that supports 512 byte sectors. http://http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthread.php?62168-CDROM-drives-supported-on-PDP11&p=501017#post501017

Okay, solved this thanks to the pointers I got in replies here -

I took a SCSI2SD v5 device, and set it to SCSI ID 1, emulating a CD-ROM with a 512 byte sector size, and put the ISO on the SD card.

Everything booted and worked! Thanks for the help!

Code:
    >>> show dev

VMS/VMB      ADDR      DEVTYPE    NUMBYTES     RM/FX    WP    DEVNAM      REV
      -------      ----      -------    --------     -----    --    ------      ---
      ESA0         08-00-2B-2C-F2-7F
      DKA0         A/0/0     DISK         2.74GB      FX            ST31841     0003
      DKA100       A/1/0     RODISK     734.00MB      RM      WP                 4.2
     ..HostID..    A/6       INITR

>>> boot dka100

-DKA100
    %SYSBOOT-I-SYSBOOT Mapping the SYSDUMP.DMP on the System Disk
    %SYSBOOT-W-SYSBOOT Can not map SYSDUMP.DMP on the System Disk
    %SYSBOOT-W-SYSBOOT Can not map PAGEFILE.SYS on the System Disk
    %WBM-I-WBMINFO Write Bitmap has successfully completed initialization.
    PLEASE ENTER DATE AND TIME (DD-MMM-YYYY  HH:MM)  23-MAR-2020 16:51

Configuring devices . . .

Available device  DKA0:                            device type SEAGATE ST318418N
    Available device  DKA100:                          device type  codesrc SCSI2SD
    %BACKUP-I-IDENT, Stand-alone BACKUP T7.2; the date is 23-MAR-2020 16:51:49.98
    $ BACKUP/IMAGE/VERIFY DKA100:VMS073.B/SAVE_SET DKA0:
    %BACKUP-I-STARTVERIFY, starting verification pass
    %BACKUP-I-PROCDONE, operation completed.  Processing finished at 23-MAR-2020 16:54:40.37
    If you do not want to perform another standalone BACKUP operation,
    use the console to halt the system.

If you do want to perform another standalone BACKUP operation,
    ensure the standalone application volume is online and ready.
    Enter "YES" to continue:

Nifty
    Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
    Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/X5DR, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Proteus/2, Moog Satellite, Oberheim SEM
    "'Legacy code' often differs from its suggested alternative by actually working and scaling." - Bjarne Stroustrup

So you were able to complete the install and boot VMS from the hard drive?

What VMS version does it report when booted? I've been trying to install 7.3 on my 4000/60 and get the same device offline/mount verification error, but in my case it's usually reported on the destination hard drive (DKA100) rather than the CD-ROM.

This system already has 7.2 and NetBSD 9.0 running nicely on it.

Replying to my own post: I do see that you installed 7.3:

$ BACKUP/IMAGE/VERIFY DKA100:VMS073.B/SAVE_SET DKA0:

I'm wondering if, in the similar vein as your compatibility issue with your SCSI CD, I might have trouble with my SCSI HD.

I have Quantum Harpoon 2.25 GB 2275W wide SCSI drives with wide-narrow adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by macnoob View Post
    So you were able to complete the install and boot VMS from the hard drive?
    Yes, once I got a proper sector size drive, it booted.

It reports this version at startup:

Code:
    This is from the OpenVMS 7.3 image I downloaded from HPE's Hobbyist FTP site.

One note, I did replace the internal 125 mb hard drive with an 18 GB Seagate Cheetah SCSI drive I had here.

Next step, sitting down and getting Compaq TCP/IP working.

Quote Originally Posted by robdaemon View Post
    I tried my Plextor 12/4/32 SCSI drive also, which does have a "block" jumper but the same error happens with it set or not set, it just happens during the initial device scan when booting off the backup disc instead of when you call BACKUP/IMAGE/VERIFY.
    I've never had any issues using Plextor SCSI CD-ROM drives for OpenVMS installation, although now that I think about it, most of the time it has probably been with VAX systems with Q-Bus SCSI controllers. Maybe with the VAX 3100 desktop systems I that I have I have always used real DEC RRD4x SCSI CD-ROM drives.