Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tandon TM-848E (Single Sided??)

Blog Entries

Would an Optek OBP84xW do the job?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Would an Optek OBP84xW do the job?
    after reviewing the physical dimensions in the datasheet, I'd say so - they appear to be identical in every relevant dimension

drive seems to be aligned! I don't have a real alignment disk to test with, but using the half-assed alignment test in IMD it is reading all the sector marks with no errors on some SSSD disks I had lying around
    Last edited by maxtherabbit; March 27th, 2020 at 05:05 PM.

I have to say I am a fan of this drive. It seems well built and works great so far. It is a far cry in quality from my only other Tandon experience (TM-100).

Are the belt driven TM848s similarly good, or did they just put their best effort into this one?

Blog Entries

I never cared for them. Watch out for the electrolytics on the +24 side. I've had a couple where one failed short and took out the 7812 regulator and associated resistor. The drive electronics always seemed to be a bit strange to me with the schizophrenic +12/+24 divide.

I never cared for them. Watch out for the electrolytics on the +24 side. I've had a couple where one failed short and took out the 7812 regulator and associated resistor. The drive electronics always seemed to be a bit strange to me with the schizophrenic +12/+24 divide.
    I'd be somewhat more forgiving of such a simple electronic failure that I could repair easily. Granted no failure is really "acceptable" but I was really thinking more about major mechanical assembly failures and alignment retention.

Well I was wrong about the second index sensor not being connected, it is connected and works. The drive will happily read and write to side 0 of a two sided disk with only the DS witness hole punched in the jacket.

I've been using the DP8473V to control the drive. I found this tidbit in the datasheet:
    Note for FM encoding: Sometimes, after a reset, the DP8473 will consistently
    return an error in the Result Phase after an FM read command. If this
    occurs, simply reset the DP8473 and retry the operation. This may have to
    be done more than once, as many as five times. Resetting and repeating will
    prevent soft errors being reported prematurely. This technique is used by
    MS-DOS.
    I seem to be encountering this problem. It manifests itself in IMD with occasional "no address mark" errors at the first track of a read operation. Once this occurs no tracks can be read. When IMD does not encounter the error on track 0, no subsequent errors are ever encountered. In 22disk (my first time trying it, nice program btw Chuck) I will occasionally get sector not found errors on transferring a CP/M file to DOS. In both programs, no write errors have ever been encountered, and upon a quit and retry the reads work normally.

Blog Entries

22Disk also does a reset and retry on errors, but not more than 3 times.

22Disk also does a reset and retry on errors, but not more than 3 times.
    does this occur before or after prompting the user to retry or abandon?