Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does this keyboard ring a bell?

It might be a SYM-1 or even a SYM-2 as well. The SYM-2 is small enough to fit into the space. The SYM-1 is a little large.
    Dwight

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
    I have a rare Polymorphic keyboard with the same affliction. If it is only one corner busted, careful snipping can remove part of the broken corner but the other corners are easily broken. Someone said you can pull the plunger out. I've been afraid to try it because the plastic is so brittle.
    The honey comb is one monolithic piece so the plungers would have to be snapped in. I wonder if the holes on the back would allow one to slip a shim into the back to release the plunger. If some one has a keyboard in their trash box they'd like to sacrifices, I'd be willing to take my Dremel to it and see how we might at least take one apart. I really don't want to destroy the one I have.
    Dwight
    I've removed and replaced plungers. It's not that bad once you learn where to grip them. I use small, needlenose visegrips and pull straight up. I did this to borrow a few good plungers from a parts Hazeltine 1500 board I had.

I've tried a variety of repairs on this, from gluing together with tape to filing/sanding down.. nothing works. These need replacements. I'm surprised, given how prolific the stackpole keyswitches were, that there aren't tons of spares out there.

Surely I can't be the only one who read the thread's title and thought "Did you try CTRL G?"?

Quote Originally Posted by roberttx View Post
    Surely I can't be the only one who read the thread's title and thought "Did you try CTRL G?"?
    Rest assured you aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by falter View Post
    Kept looking at it with the two edge connectors... I'm sure I've seen it before in an old magazine.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164128373137
    I'm pretty sure you have seen it in an old magazine. It's a Cherry Pro keyboard, sold to hobbyists, seen in many BYTE magazines around 1978/79.

I've got one, new with manual.

I'd upload some pictures, but this forum seems to have added an insane 256Kb limit to attachments.

Blog Entries

Use an external hosting site, such as imgur, and link to it. But you know that...

Blog Entries

I found a picture I put on Imgur a few years ago:

It is clearly the keyboard. One wonders why they brought so many pins out. It may have been a combination keyboard and monitor data. I can't quite make out the letters on the chips to the right but I suspect one is a RAM and one a ROM to create raster for a video.
    It may just be a universal keyboard. Before ASCII settled in there were several different sets.
    Dwight