Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 items, Last laptop w/on-board parallel & serial port and help on old post

Default 2 items, Last laptop w/on-board parallel & serial port and help on old post

Hi,

New to this forum. I have a couple questions that I hope someone can help...

1) I am running some old machinery that uses both a parallel and serial port connection. Our last laptop with a parallel and serial port died. We've tried parallel-to-USB and serial-to-USB adapters, they don't work.
    Can anyone tell me the last laptop to have an on-board parallel & serial port? Note, must be on-board, not a docking station service.

2) I was doing some research on my question above, and I encountered this thread on the forums here on the subject:
    http://www.vcfed.org/forum/archive/i...p/t-39322.html
    If you scroll down to the bottom of that thread, the 4th to last answer, by ajacocks on October 2, 2013, 11:39AM, he says this in part of his reply:

>I have Windows 7 64-bit on a Core2Duo machine. It fully supports the on-board ECP parallel port (hanging off of the LPC bus at LPT1) and even PnP auto-detected the HP Laserjet 4MP that is plugged into it! I don't think Windows 8 dropped support either.

If I can't find a suitable laptop w/parallel&serial, that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, Can anyone provide more info on what the make/model might be of that machine? I wonder if it's even a laptop though.

Thanks,

Joe

The Dell D600 and D800 laptops have both hardware serial and parallel on the back panel.

If you have trouble finding one, I have a nearly new D600 with 64 GB PATA SSD I could part with.

Quote Originally Posted by HoJoPo View Post
    The Dell D600 and D800 laptops have both hardware serial and parallel on the back panel.

If you have trouble finding one, I have a nearly new D600 with 64 GB PATA SSD I could part with.
    Hi, I appreciate the reply. I did find that the Dell D610 also has a on-board serial & parallel. I was hoping to find something new & more powerful, but haven't found anything so far.

What price on the D600? Please email me if possible. Thanks,

Joe (joemagiera at Ameritech dot net)
    joemagiera@ameritech.net

What program(s) do you need to run on this?
    PM me if you're looking for 3" or 5" floppy disks. EMail For everything else, Take Another Step

The program is called “Max Loader” by EETools. That’s not the problem, the program will work from Windows 3.1 to Windows 10, 32-bit or 64-bit, USB or parallel. The device is an EPROM burner. I tried various parallel-to-USB adapters with no success. I tried a parallel card in a desk top, no success.

I’d like the “last laptop” in hopes of getting something reasonably powerful, fast, etc.

I will admit that a docking station did work, but it’s a pain to be moving around the docking station a lot. And the last docking station broke before the laptop died.

I have another EPROM burner with different capabilities that works on a serial port, and I have heard that one will work on a serial-to-USB adapter, but the parallel device is more important at this time.

Joe

The "Ultrabase" docking stations for Thinkpad laptops had Parallel ports at least through the T60/T61 generation, so if you don't need it strictly "built in" that *may* work. I wouldn't swear for certain that the port on those docking stations isn't technically interfaced via USB, although looking at the datasheets linked off this page about another parallel/serial option they sold for the same laptops it looks like it may well be interfaced off the LPC bus, which should make it native compatible.

You *may*, if you look hard enough, be able to find a Core Duo/Duo2 generation laptop that has these ports natively built in but I'm pretty sure that's going to be the end of the line. A Core Duo laptopsis, sure, potentially twice as fast as a Pentium M machine like a Dell D600, but it's still going to be a bottom-feeder by today's standards, alas.

They do sell ExpressCard parallel ports, if you have a more modern laptop that still has an ExpressCard port you could give that a try if whatever software you're running can deal with a PCI-interfaced port, but I'd caution that Expresscard connectors also have USB lines and a lot of cards for it use them instead of the PCI connections, so it may act just like a regular USB dongle.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

I have a Elnec LabProg+ universal programmer that has to be connected to the LPT port. When I bought a new Asus laptop in 2010, the old one died, I completely forgot about the LPT port until it was too late. I tried USB-to-LPT and an Express-bus card with LPT but those didn't work. I needed the programmer when visiting computer meetings and hauling a PC there was a bit too much. So at the end I was able to find a D610.

Regarding docking stations: I have a Dell (from my work) and when placed on a docking station, I can use my programmer. Regarding a parallel card: I have an Asus board with a PCI-Express LPT card and that works fine as well. The reason I think that this docking station and this card work is that the on-board LPT ports can be detected directly by the BIOS and can be found back in the BIOS table starting at 0040:0008. My programmer expects to see real LPT compatible hardware and that is not possible when using USB.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    My programmer expects to see real LPT compatible hardware and that is not possible when using USB.
    That's why i keep a few old P3 and lower laptops around because they have real Serial / Parallel ports, I have several programmers serial and LPT though for some time now i have been using an old Thin client with real serial / parallel ports to run them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruud View Post
    I have a Elnec LabProg+ universal programmer that has to be connected to the LPT port. When I bought a new Asus laptop in 2010, the old one died, I completely forgot about the LPT port until it was too late. I tried USB-to-LPT and an Express-bus card with LPT but those didn't work. I needed the programmer when visiting computer meetings and hauling a PC there was a bit too much. So at the end I was able to find a D610.
    I guess a D610 will do and they are easy enough to find on ebay. I was hoping for something a little newer/faster/powerful.

So I take it either you're satisfied using a D610 or you couldn't find any laptops newer either?

Quote Originally Posted by joemagiera View Post
    So I take it either you're satisfied using a D610 or you couldn't find any laptops newer either?
    I am satisfied. But that didn't keep me from looking for yet another laptop but I didn't find anything newer or better.
    With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org