Image Map Image Map
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: replacement for 80286

Quote Originally Posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
    Here's a page that has a picture of a prototype/sample 386sx "upgrade option" chip in a 286 compatible PGA package. Apparently Intel at least *considered* selling such an upgrade chip that didn't require a carrier.
    hello
    i have a 286->386sx , small board. (don't know if it works) But i would not say this card has close to no chips glued on .

-front-.JPG -back-.JPG

/cimonvg

Quote Originally Posted by Cimonvg View Post
    hello
    i have a 286->386sx , small board. (don't know if it works) But i would not say this card has close to no chips glued on .

-front-.JPG -back-.JPG

/cimonvg
    That's really cool looking. Do you have a machine to test that on?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM1981 View Post
    That's really cool looking. Do you have a machine to test that on?
    hello - yes an unassembled IBM AT. Some time ago i did try the MakeIt486 chip in the IBM-at, and at very slow speed did boot Windows 95. ..very slow.. The memory is on the ISA bus and the overall speed not high.
    /cimonvg

But i would not say this card has close to no chips glued on .
    Heh. I'm going to hazard a guess that the logic is to double the host CPU clock so the 386sx runs at closer to its rated clock speed. (And also to support the FPU socket?) I do vaguely remember once reading a review of 386sx upgrade boards (PC Magazine?) that featured at least one board that didn't do that. It's amazing to contemplate what it'd be like to have an original 6mhz AT with one of those installed.
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs

Heh. I'm going to hazard a guess that the logic is to double the host CPU clock so the 386sx runs at closer to its rated clock speed. (And also to support the FPU socket?) I do vaguely remember once reading a review of 386sx upgrade boards (PC Magazine?) that featured at least one board that didn't do that. It's amazing to contemplate what it'd be like to have an original 6mhz AT with one of those installed.
    Hello
    i did some tests.
    AMD286-6mhz - to compare against:

DSCN9159.JPG
    ;Data collected by: TOPBENCH | Benchmark and detection stub | Version 0.97
    ;This file contains fingerprinting information about your computer. Please
    ;email this file to trixter@oldskool.org with a subject line of "Benchmark" to
    ;help test these routines and seed the TOPBENCH database.

[UIDF102A099F]
    MemoryTest=924
    OpcodeTest=398
    VidramTest=779
    MemEATest=515
    3DGameTest=386
    Score=16
    CPU=Intel 80286
    CPUspeed=8 MHz
    BIOSinfo=R(C)1985-1989, American Megatrends Inc,.All Rights Reserved.1346 Oakbrook Drive, Suite-120, Norcross, GA-30093. Phone-(404)-263-8181. (04/30/89, rev. 0)
    MachineModel=01FC
    BIOSdate=19890430
    BIOSCRC16=F102
    VideoSystem=VGA
    VideoAdapter=VGA, Paradise PVGA1A, 8-Bit-Video, 8-Bit-ROMfixed-sync, 512kb Vi
    Machine=AT clone

and the MakeIt486 (no cache enabled):

DSCN9151.JPG

[UIDF1026E7]
    MemoryTest=769
    OpcodeTest=372
    VidramTest=787
    MemEATest=491
    3DGameTest=358
    Score=18
    CPU=Cyrix/TI 486-class processor
    CPUspeed=33 MHz
    BIOSinfo=R(C)1985-1989, American Megatrends Inc,.All Rights Reserved.1346 Oakbrook Drive, Suite-120, Norcross, GA-30093. Phone-(404)-263-8181. (04/30/89, rev. 0)
    MachineModel=01FC
    BIOSdate=19890430
    BIOSCRC16=F102
    VideoSystem=VGA
    Machine=AT clone

and at last the "new" Nokia-module:
    DSCN9164.JPG

[UIDF102920]
    MemoryTest=1048
    OpcodeTest=396
    VidramTest=771
    MemEATest=527
    3DGameTest=401
    Score=16
    CPU=AMD Am386SX
    CPUspeed=8 MHz
    MachineModel=01FC
    BIOSdate=19890430
    BIOSCRC16=F102
    VideoSystem=VGA
    Machine=AT clone

..i had to build some socket extensions , but after i firm pressure the Nokia-module did connect to the motherboard
    DSCN9160.JPG

The speed of this "new" (a call it new - i have never used it before ) nokia-module is not doubled. But the feeling , when used in PCDOS is better then the MakeIt486 (without cache enabled) !!
    /cimonvg

Wow, the scores for that Make-it 486 module are astoundingly bad.

I have to admit I'm jealous of your 8mhz 386sx now.

Blog Entries

Wow, the scores for that Make-it 486 module are astoundingly bad.

I have to admit I'm jealous of your 8mhz 386sx now.
    That is only because the cache is turned off. Superior performing chip doesn't do much work if spending all the time waiting on motherboard memory.

Quote Originally Posted by krebizfan View Post
    That is only because the cache is turned off. Superior performing chip doesn't do much work if spending all the time waiting on motherboard memory.
    Certainly true, but I guess I expected at least a *little* more of a goose from having the actual instruction-executing hardware running at 33mhz, since most instructions on the 286/386sx take a significant number of cycles. Maybe the instruction mix in Topbench just happens to be particularly bus-bound.

How does it score with the cache enabled?

Certainly true, but I guess I expected at least a *little* more of a goose from having the actual instruction-executing hardware running at 33mhz, since most instructions on the 286/386sx take a significant number of cycles. Maybe the instruction mix in Topbench just happens to be particularly bus-bound.

How does it score with the cache enabled?
    hello
    in the Topbench database , there is a 80286 Bridgeboard with MakeIt 486, doing Score=23
    but i will post my score (if/when i get the correct makeit486 driver and the makeit486 on the motherboard)
    /cimonvg

hello
    in the Topbench database , there is a 80286 Bridgeboard with MakeIt 486, doing Score=23
    but i will post my score (if/when i get the correct makeit486 driver and the makeit486 on the motherboard)
    /cimonvg
    That seems rather low, too. I also get a score of 23 on my Compaq DeskPro 286/12. Could be they ran without the cache enabled as well? BTW, your 80286 is 8 MHz as evidenced by the 16 MHz crystal and benchmark results, not 6 MHz as you labeled it. Not a big deal, I wasn't sure you were aware of it or not.